03-17-2020, 05:46 PM
A5BLASTER Wrote:Call Mark at PF.
Tell him you want a 18 inch rifle gas with .750 gas block size and you want it to be light weight.
Flouting is one way to reduce weight but it won't be as much as you think or as much as going with a thinner profile could give.
Flutes don't increase the stiffness of a barrel they only keep the stiffness of the barrel the same while slightly reducing barrel weight. Think it's like 2 to 3 onces difference, so not much.
Long as you don't rapid fire are get the barrel hot a super thin profile like what JP rifles uses or use to use on their 18 inch grendel barrel is very accurate.
Going to a super thin profile will give you the least amount of barrel weight.
Fluting increases rigidity of a barrel compared to a barrel of the same WEIGHT that is not fluted. That means I can get more accuracy and heat dissipation of a given weight by going fluted. As I don't want a simple bench rest rifle, this is very desirable to me.
I'd prefer to know what I am talking about before talking to Mark at PF again. My ignorance didn't serve me well my last conversation, and it seems he is extremely busy.
I also don't want to just go as thin as possible to save as much weight as possible. That seems like a bad bet, to get one of the best barrel brands, and then remove all it's rigidity by going super thin. I'd being doing the quality of the barrel a disservice.
So I am looking for the best compromise on the weight to rigidity slider scale.

