TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel
#15
MGM "Match grade machines" makes GREAT barrels. I have a stainless 14" 30-30AI Contender barrel from them that is just down right accurate. I can push a 125 Nosler BT 2670 fps with sub MOA accuracy safely. This has been a DEER HAMMER. I have not shot any deer over 200 yards with it because of yardage limitation of where I hunt with it. I have lost count how many deer I have killed with it but it is 20+ we will say. Most shots have been between 75 and 110 yards. I have only had one buck take a step after the shot. It was all fired up chasing a doe in the rut. It stopped in my path about 90 yards away with a slightly right shoulder angle toward me broadside position. I placed the 125 BT in the center of the right shoulder. At impact the buck rocked back on his hind legs and jumped straight up in the air like a rocket taking off. At the peak of his jump he shook his head back and forth once sideways. Then he nosed over like someone diving into a pool. He hit the ground almost at the same time with his front hoofs and his nose because the right scapula was broken and continued on to his chest. He then pushed himself about 10 yards with his back legs nose plowing down the path before falling over dead. I wish I had a video of it.

Yep keep the pressure on the mild side with the 6.5 Grendel in a Generation 1 Contender especially and the frame will love you for many years. I have seen frames that have been stretched from people using too many high pressure loads. That is the reason that they came out with the G2 Contender frame which is a bit stronger but still they are in no way as strong as the Encore frame.

I have had and still do have a number of different caliber barrels and two G1 frames. Before I decided to go with the 30-30AI I was looking hard at something in .264. Had never heard of the 6.5 Grendel at that time. I was looking at 6.5JDJ and 6.5-30-30. Quickly discounted the 6.5JDJ because of the parent case being a 225 Win which is nearly impossible to find. I have a 6mm-225 Win. with enough cases to do me. Decided to go with the 30-30AI because of the cost difference of the dies. Custom 6.5-30-30 dies were $$$ compared to over the counter Lee 30-30AI which work just fine. Also you can fire regular 30-30 Win. ammo in the AI with good accuracy and you end up with a fireformed AI case.

I have too much money tied up in two ARs in 6.5 Grendel these days but who know maybe one of these days there might mysteriously appear a 6.5 Grendel Contender pistol barrel in my safe. LOL

Oh! About scopes. I have 3 Weaver 2.5 - 8 X 28 long eye relief pistol scopes that I have used for years hunting. For the money in my experience you can't beat them. Glass is clear and they are tough. I Have never had a problem with them and under deer hunting conditions I have never needed more scope.

As for factory ammo try some Hornady 123 SST but as has been said the 123 ELDM at especially pistol Grendel velocities should work just fine. I hand load for my ARs and the 120 Speer Gold Dot is my first choice for deer and the 120 Sierra Pro Hunter is second. I have not shot any deer with other bullets in the Grendel.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by Predator_huntin - 08-08-2019, 07:35 PM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by kmon - 08-08-2019, 08:01 PM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by HokeyPokeyKid - 08-08-2019, 09:02 PM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by dpw4x4 - 08-08-2019, 11:08 PM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by JASmith - 08-09-2019, 12:29 AM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by kmon - 08-09-2019, 02:37 AM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by Kswhitetails - 08-09-2019, 05:03 PM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by se3388 - 02-06-2020, 11:56 PM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by LRRPF52 - 02-07-2020, 04:07 AM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by Twitch24 - 02-09-2020, 03:33 PM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by GregP42 - 02-10-2020, 02:52 AM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by Steamburn - 02-19-2020, 03:00 AM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by JASmith - 02-19-2020, 05:19 AM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by GregP42 - 02-19-2020, 05:53 AM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by 1Shot - 02-19-2020, 03:12 PM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by rabiddawg - 02-20-2020, 03:14 PM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by A5BLASTER - 02-20-2020, 04:21 PM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by kmon - 02-20-2020, 06:18 PM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by JASmith - 02-20-2020, 11:01 PM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by rabiddawg - 02-20-2020, 11:17 PM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by A5BLASTER - 02-20-2020, 11:46 PM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by rabiddawg - 02-21-2020, 02:02 AM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by LRRPF52 - 02-22-2020, 07:13 PM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by 1Shot - 02-24-2020, 02:20 PM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by Bobke - 03-03-2020, 02:18 PM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by 1Shot - 03-03-2020, 03:41 PM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by GregP42 - 03-04-2020, 04:18 AM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by Chev2500 - 03-05-2020, 08:41 PM
TC Contender in 6.5 Grendel - by JASmith - 03-05-2020, 11:39 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)