03-04-2012, 08:59 PM
How far out will you normally shoot? What is the farthest range you intend to be able to shoot using max'd out elevation knob and reticle pattern? And what do you intend to be shooting at?
If you're going to stay within 1000yd, something in the 4-16x or 5-20x range is going to be fine. If you're going to stay within 600yd, even a 3-9x would work fine.
I run a 2.5-10x32mm NF NXS on my Grendel out to 1000yd and as long as whatever I'm shooting at is about 2MOA or bigger I do fine, although spotting hits (or misses) at that range is tough. I mostly listen for a "ding" on my steel plate. Within 600yd, however, it is excellent. Last time I was home I was popping water bottles at 450 and 560 yd.
I also ran a 3.5-15x50 NXS on my .308 for a while and it is great for 1000yd (now it has a fixed 10x42). It's much easier to see impacts. I think it may be because the bigger .308 bullets kick up more dust, however. LOL doesn't matter what I put on my .50bmg, impacts are clearly visible with the naked eye at 1000yd. I mostly shoot it at rocks/boulders because it destroys targets and stands.
If you're going to stay within 1000yd, something in the 4-16x or 5-20x range is going to be fine. If you're going to stay within 600yd, even a 3-9x would work fine.
I run a 2.5-10x32mm NF NXS on my Grendel out to 1000yd and as long as whatever I'm shooting at is about 2MOA or bigger I do fine, although spotting hits (or misses) at that range is tough. I mostly listen for a "ding" on my steel plate. Within 600yd, however, it is excellent. Last time I was home I was popping water bottles at 450 and 560 yd.
I also ran a 3.5-15x50 NXS on my .308 for a while and it is great for 1000yd (now it has a fixed 10x42). It's much easier to see impacts. I think it may be because the bigger .308 bullets kick up more dust, however. LOL doesn't matter what I put on my .50bmg, impacts are clearly visible with the naked eye at 1000yd. I mostly shoot it at rocks/boulders because it destroys targets and stands.
