Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Hunting Bullets - Deer/Medium-Sized Game
#10
PA452 Wrote:Two or three years ago I started using Nosler 100gr Ballistic Tips that seem to fit the bill. I've had some excellent accuracy results out of both rifles with these bullets, and I've had good effectiveness on game from deer to fox.

I'm thinking I might like to move up to a larger bullet just to get a little better trajectory past 200 yards. I've been thinking I'm going to try the same bullet, Nosler BTs, just move it up to 120gr. But thought I'd ask here for other suggestions.

Since retiring and moving back to where I grew up in northern MN, I've been able to enjoy whitetail hunting again. I left my .30 cal rifles in the gun safe and decided my 6.5 Grendel AR would be my goto for deer hunting. With 4 seasons behind me and 2 deer per season, I do not regret my choice. I'm using Nosler 120gr BT over a charge of BLC-2. 5 shot groups are better than 1MOA. I like BLC-3 because of the good results I've had over a wide temp spread. I developed the load while living in the hot desert of Arizona and hunt with the same load with snow on the ground here on the homestead.

Most deer are taken between 75 and 175 yds. With the exception of one deer that dropped where it stood (CNS shot), all the others went no further than 50 yds and all were one-shot kills in the vitals. Only one bullet was a pass through and another stopped just under the skin on the exit side. All others stayed in the lungs. Meat damage around the entrance hole is virtually nonexistent. If I ever run out of the 120gr BTs, I might try Nosler's Partition bullet....just to mix it up! LOL!
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Hunting Bullets - Deer/Medium-Sized Game - by arizona98tj - 02-07-2020, 08:17 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)