Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Best 22in or 24in barrel on a budget
#25
Tdbru you have said a few times that the 556 is "flatter" than the Grendel...
I'd like to ask for the ballistics of that, I'd like to run the numbers for myself.
At a minimum, Bullet, BC, MV, for both of your rifles under comparison.

Additionally, one more question: which is more important to you, "flatness" or accuracy -- guess I should say, accuracy with a certain amount "X" of terminal energy at impact.

edit to add: one reason I ask is for a couple of my loads, 77 gr 223 at 2699 ft/s, 18" wylde barrel, and 123 gr sst, 2505 ft/s and 20" barrel for the Grendel, ..........
Both arrive at 600 yds within 0.004 sec of each other... 0.893 vs 0.897. FWIW the 223 arrives the later.

So if time of flight is virtually the same I would think that windage effects would impact them for the same amount of time. Hence the bullet with better wind resistance -- BC or mass or whatever -- would have the better chance to be accurate.

'Course I could be missing something on this, there are better ballisticians on here who could chime in...

I don't personally care whether you build another 223 or a Grrr, but this seems a good topic to nail down some good answers.

So I was wondering.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Best 22in or 24in barrel on a budget - by LRRPF52 - 02-02-2020, 03:19 AM
Best 22in or 24in barrel on a budget - by mel - 02-02-2020, 03:51 AM
Best 22in or 24in barrel on a budget - by Klem - 02-02-2020, 04:40 PM
Best 22in or 24in barrel on a budget - by grayfox - 02-02-2020, 10:51 PM
Best 22in or 24in barrel on a budget - by LRRPF52 - 02-02-2020, 11:52 PM
Best 22in or 24in barrel on a budget - by grayfox - 02-03-2020, 12:28 AM
Best 22in or 24in barrel on a budget - by LRRPF52 - 02-03-2020, 12:52 AM
Best 22in or 24in barrel on a budget - by mel - 02-03-2020, 01:10 AM
Best 22in or 24in barrel on a budget - by mel - 02-03-2020, 01:16 AM
Best 22in or 24in barrel on a budget - by Klem - 02-03-2020, 05:26 AM
Best 22in or 24in barrel on a budget - by Herzo - 02-03-2020, 12:59 PM
Best 22in or 24in barrel on a budget - by tdbru - 02-06-2020, 04:02 AM
Best 22in or 24in barrel on a budget - by grayfox - 02-07-2020, 02:45 AM
Best 22in or 24in barrel on a budget - by LRRPF52 - 02-07-2020, 03:16 AM
Best 22in or 24in barrel on a budget - by LRRPF52 - 02-07-2020, 05:41 PM
Best 22in or 24in barrel on a budget - by grayfox - 02-07-2020, 06:47 PM
Best 22in or 24in barrel on a budget - by LRRPF52 - 02-07-2020, 10:21 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)