Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Anyone using IMR 4895?
#1
I see some using H-4895 but is anyone using IMR 4895. I have a BUNCH I bought a number of years ago that was pulled down from military ammo. It is still as good as the day it was made and shoots within just a few feet per second one way or the other of different lots of newer powder. I did try it with one load when I was trying to get the Hornady 123 SST bullet to shoot in my 20" BCA rifle. The load was Hornady case, CCI 450, 123 SST, COAL 2.250 and I used a medium Lee Factory Crimp. Velocity was average for 5 shots 2416 fps, ES 19, SD 8 and outside to outside group was .831 which was by far the best group EVER with this bullet. But these were the last 5 of these bullets I had and had just bought 120 Speer Gold Dots to test and I found them to be very accurate and never bought any more of the Hornady 123 SST.

I went through 100 rounds of factory Hornady 123 SST ammo which shot awful in two rifles and I went through 200 bullets with numerous different loads and powders combos and could not get this bullet to do much better than 1 1/2".

How I came up with the charge of IMR 4895 that I used was from the Grendel #2 manual. In there was a load with the 123 SST that listed 29 grs so I backed off a grain to see what it looked like.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Anyone using IMR 4895? - by 1Shot - 02-06-2020, 02:32 PM
Anyone using IMR 4895? - by LRRPF52 - 02-06-2020, 08:45 PM
Anyone using IMR 4895? - by Rosecrans1 - 02-06-2020, 10:13 PM
Anyone using IMR 4895? - by tdbru - 02-07-2020, 03:27 AM
Anyone using IMR 4895? - by Daveycrockett - 02-09-2020, 03:54 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)