Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
subsonic 170gn lee cruise missile
#5
I cast a bunch, mic'd about 10 of them, and took an average. The alloy I used is about 50/50 clip on wheel weights and range scrap, mixed 2 parts alloy to 1 part magnum bird shot (it's the mix I have the most of, that I use for hardcast shotgun slugs and .45-70) and the base band is coming out at about .269.5 the next few are .269, and the band closest to the nose mics at .266. These dimensions were taken from bullets dropped straight from the mold into a water bucket lined with old towels. these bullets come out HARD! when you handle a pile of them, they ring like steel. I could mess with the alloy to go softer, but a 20 minute session in the oven softens them up nicely too.
I plan to get the 126 and 140 NOE molds this spring, but for now, I thought i'd monkey around with the el-cheapo Lee mold. I've heard of guys milling the 170 down to throw a plain base 152, or 140 grain bullet, but that'll be a future project if I can't get them to shoot full size.
i'll definitely try plain lubed too, but i've begun powder coating all the other projectiles I cast, so it's really no big deal to throw a couple handfuls of 6.5's in there when I'm doing a batch.
Thanks for the quick replies guys, keep those suggestions coming!

btw, Great suggestion about the chamber cast. I don't have any cerrosafe, but I'm considering casting a 170 from plain dead soft lead, greasing it up and hammering it into the throat from the chamber end. hopefully there's enough meat in the nose to slug up to fill the space!
Reply


Messages In This Thread
subsonic 170gn lee cruise missile - by pashiner - 01-18-2020, 06:47 PM
subsonic 170gn lee cruise missile - by tdbru - 01-18-2020, 08:24 PM
subsonic 170gn lee cruise missile - by VASCAR2 - 01-18-2020, 08:52 PM
subsonic 170gn lee cruise missile - by Lemonaid - 01-18-2020, 09:18 PM
subsonic 170gn lee cruise missile - by pashiner - 01-18-2020, 09:53 PM
subsonic 170gn lee cruise missile - by Lemonaid - 01-18-2020, 11:38 PM
subsonic 170gn lee cruise missile - by Klem - 01-19-2020, 08:37 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)