01-16-2020, 11:06 PM
I'm retired so it's a hobby type deal. I've dialing in Prairie dog rifles and usually it only takes 8 different loads x 6 bulllets each and 2 cold barrel shots.
Usually would shoot 3 round groups on the 8 x 3, then come back and do it again to prove out a flinch or other BS deal.
Then say for example, I had the best group of (.243 ammo) of 39.3 grains of Varget, I would then load 10 rounds of 39.2, 10 of 39.3 and 10 of 39.4, and do 5 round groups twice and the best was it. So that would total out to 80 rounds. NEVER h ad a rifle like this one.
Now, if you were talking about a RETAIL price (I was Hoping I would luck out on the BCA upper)
Well, you got the brass cost. I bought 400 of them and then I bought 200 of the Hornady Black factory loads at almost a buck a round, 123 ELDS.
Powder, I tried what, 4 or 5 differernt powders at 25 to 30 per pound. driving is a gallon of gas each way (17 miles to the Ben Avery rifle range one way)
So what's a good guess on these above items...?? say $500 NOT counting any "labor". oops, add another 200 or so for the projectiles themselves at retail bu ying them at 100 a time.
here is the cost to "get started" with that cheap upper and NEW caliber (to me) BELOW...
6.5 Grendel COST$
Well, the motivation was this: I've had heart work done. On blood thinners and my beloved .308 caliber M1A's KICK my azz and the doctor is worried I will get blood clots from all the black and blue.
I even down loaded some test rounds 125 grainers instead of 150's and 2600FPS vs 2760 Nato Spec. Still KICKS my azz.
SO.... I sold my M1A's and one FAL stg58 done by gunplumber.
So... I "NEED" something for the TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it). I don't have a lot of faith in the .223 from my vietnam experiences.
So I am downshifting and trying to do it on the THRIFTY side. Since I have a couple of AR 15's, what caliber can I convert to?
After reading and talking with people about 6.8 SPC, 7.62 x 39 (the AK round), and 6.5 Grendel which will all FIT in the AR 15 magazines, the 6.5 is supposed to be the best in accuracy and POOF DUH.
So below is what I got into it SO FAR!!
Now I know why I didn't go out and jump on buying a 10 MM handgun when I already owned a 41 Magnum revolver. Even though I wanted a 10.
By the time I get done and "situated" this will be a $1500 solution!!
upper $190 Bear Creek
2 mags $ 49 JobBobOutfitters
sights $150 TomsTacktical brand is MBUS PRO
tool hd $219 Dillons tool hd and conversion kit
Dies $45 Grafs (lee brand 3 die set)
boolets $219 LuckyGunner (loaded 123 Hornady)
SUB $872
300 brass $115
Powder $60 AR comp and 8208 ONE pound each
More Powder $60 BLC-2 and some other chit… I already have 16# of VARGET from my NRA HP days.
CASE GAGE $30
Brass trimmer 45
NEW TOTAL $1183
still have to buy primers, bullets, powder and more brass !! finding ACCURATE load data is another "hunt".
Bob
So, we got 1183 + 700 or so.
Not Bad for a hobby. Don't tell my wife. GRIN
Usually would shoot 3 round groups on the 8 x 3, then come back and do it again to prove out a flinch or other BS deal.
Then say for example, I had the best group of (.243 ammo) of 39.3 grains of Varget, I would then load 10 rounds of 39.2, 10 of 39.3 and 10 of 39.4, and do 5 round groups twice and the best was it. So that would total out to 80 rounds. NEVER h ad a rifle like this one.
Now, if you were talking about a RETAIL price (I was Hoping I would luck out on the BCA upper)
Well, you got the brass cost. I bought 400 of them and then I bought 200 of the Hornady Black factory loads at almost a buck a round, 123 ELDS.
Powder, I tried what, 4 or 5 differernt powders at 25 to 30 per pound. driving is a gallon of gas each way (17 miles to the Ben Avery rifle range one way)
So what's a good guess on these above items...?? say $500 NOT counting any "labor". oops, add another 200 or so for the projectiles themselves at retail bu ying them at 100 a time.
here is the cost to "get started" with that cheap upper and NEW caliber (to me) BELOW...
6.5 Grendel COST$
Well, the motivation was this: I've had heart work done. On blood thinners and my beloved .308 caliber M1A's KICK my azz and the doctor is worried I will get blood clots from all the black and blue.
I even down loaded some test rounds 125 grainers instead of 150's and 2600FPS vs 2760 Nato Spec. Still KICKS my azz.
SO.... I sold my M1A's and one FAL stg58 done by gunplumber.
So... I "NEED" something for the TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it). I don't have a lot of faith in the .223 from my vietnam experiences.
So I am downshifting and trying to do it on the THRIFTY side. Since I have a couple of AR 15's, what caliber can I convert to?
After reading and talking with people about 6.8 SPC, 7.62 x 39 (the AK round), and 6.5 Grendel which will all FIT in the AR 15 magazines, the 6.5 is supposed to be the best in accuracy and POOF DUH.
So below is what I got into it SO FAR!!
Now I know why I didn't go out and jump on buying a 10 MM handgun when I already owned a 41 Magnum revolver. Even though I wanted a 10.
By the time I get done and "situated" this will be a $1500 solution!!
upper $190 Bear Creek
2 mags $ 49 JobBobOutfitters
sights $150 TomsTacktical brand is MBUS PRO
tool hd $219 Dillons tool hd and conversion kit
Dies $45 Grafs (lee brand 3 die set)
boolets $219 LuckyGunner (loaded 123 Hornady)
SUB $872
300 brass $115
Powder $60 AR comp and 8208 ONE pound each
More Powder $60 BLC-2 and some other chit… I already have 16# of VARGET from my NRA HP days.
CASE GAGE $30
Brass trimmer 45
NEW TOTAL $1183
still have to buy primers, bullets, powder and more brass !! finding ACCURATE load data is another "hunt".
Bob
So, we got 1183 + 700 or so.
Not Bad for a hobby. Don't tell my wife. GRIN

