Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
123 AMAX vs. 130 ELD performance
#5
Nimrod Wrote:I’m getting 2475FPS with the 130 ELD with 30.8 grns LRV. No pressure signs but I’d say it’s got to be the very upper limit and definitely Compressed. Great grouping though.
Is this in a bolt gun or AR? If an AR, what buffer are you using? H, or H2, and cycling still reliable? I'm using an H buffer with my 123 loads (31 gr. CFE-223) and get a nice moderated recoil and completely solid cycling.

LRRPF52 Wrote:One thing I notice with the heavier weights is more perceived impact noise on steel plates vs 123gr, even though they are a bit slower.

If you're looking for more auditory satisfaction, then 130gr impacting the plate is very nice.

There will be more arc in the trajectory normally, with about the same wind drift if you compare bullets with high BCs between 123gr and 130gr.

I consider within 600yds to be kind of child's play with this cartridge, no matter the barrel length, but the arc of trajectory is a factor in hit probability that needs to be accounted for well.

A more precise reticle with dialing seems to take care of that for me, with accurate environmental factor data input into my ballistics program, namely barometric pressure and temp.

It comes down to reading the wind, maintaining a level rifle, and applying the fundamentals consistently at that point.

130gr ELD-M should be fun on steel. Tell us how it works out.

If you're shooting paper targets, then I would probably look at the 107gr SMK and run it fast with AR Comp or 8208XBR.
More auditory response might be nice, it's difficult to even hear the gong at 1000 yards. The drop at range was my biggest interest, I suppose. My reticle has an extra 30 MOA in the bottom half of the reticle, and I use a 20MOA Warne scope mount. My hits at 1000+yd are pretty close to the bottom of the reticle. The other thing I wondered about was at about what range do the 130's go transonic? The ballistics table worked up for my loads indicate they go subsonic at about 1175 yds. If I can load the 130's to about that range, I'd be happy. I don't want to give up any of what I have, but I'd be tickled to get more.
I use the same loads for paper as for steel, and adjust the zero accordingly for range. Our club's range goes to 300 yards, so paper at that range is for getting tight, consistent groups. Ringing the steel at that range is for fun and seeing how fast I can get back on target. The range where I can shoot 1000+ uses 18" square plates, which turns out to be approx. 1.8 MOA @ 1000 yds. My best shots have been 1125 yds, 6 to 7 hits out of a 10 round magazine. I suspect they're beginning to tumble a bit by then.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
123 AMAX vs. 130 ELD performance - by FLshooter - 01-12-2020, 12:21 AM
123 AMAX vs. 130 ELD performance - by Nimrod - 01-13-2020, 12:33 AM
123 AMAX vs. 130 ELD performance - by LRRPF52 - 01-13-2020, 10:13 PM
123 AMAX vs. 130 ELD performance - by Cockednlocked - 01-15-2020, 04:05 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)