Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
short throat on 18" CORE
#1
So seeing a good deal on a core rifle systems 18 inch bolt and barrel set I decided to replace the 16 inch one in my BCA upper. Barrel looked ok,couple of minor finish imperfections but nothing to really complain at. Installed nicely with a torque of 46 lbs.
Went next door yesterday to shoot it a little, only had 25 yards so I was just testing function and rough zero. I reworked some of my loads so as to work a ladder in this barrel. Shot and cycled wolf good, shot and cycled 120 gold dot hand load (old light charge) fine.
This is where the problems start. I have been doing Moscow match for a while. In my 12 inch PSA, 16 inch BCA and my friends 22 inch rugger bolt gun the hornady 100 ELD-M loaded in a wolf case loaded to mag length of 2.26 have worked great. So naturally I tried some yesterday and it wouldn't chamber at all. I couldn't even mortar the round out of the gun, I had to carefully pry the bolt back. the projectile was forced into the lands about 50 thousands. Very short throat I suspected.
So I went back home and done some reading and I think I have a good grasp of the compound chamber Grendel 1 and 2 differences. I started to chamber other loads at home to see what ogive's would allow clambering.
Even in hornady factory ammo the projo is hitting into the lands, ELD-M and my 120 TTSX is a no no. The gold dots ogive worked. My hand load 123 SST also intrudes into the throat. Ill post some photos of the factory BTHP bellow this. Should I just shoot about 100 rounds of Wolf through it and see if it loosens up some? I'm going to call core Monday if they're open.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
short throat on 18" CORE - by Novercalis - 12-22-2019, 03:45 PM
short throat on 18" CORE - by Novercalis - 12-22-2019, 03:48 PM
short throat on 18" CORE - by Novercalis - 12-22-2019, 03:49 PM
short throat on 18" CORE - by VASCAR2 - 12-22-2019, 06:05 PM
short throat on 18" CORE - by BluntForceTrauma - 12-29-2019, 11:24 PM
short throat on 18" CORE - by RobertFL - 12-30-2019, 02:23 AM
short throat on 18" CORE - by Novercalis - 01-01-2020, 11:22 PM
short throat on 18" CORE - by A5BLASTER - 01-02-2020, 01:46 AM
short throat on 18" CORE - by gwtx - 01-02-2020, 02:58 AM
short throat on 18" CORE - by Novercalis - 01-02-2020, 03:35 AM
short throat on 18" CORE - by LRRPF52 - 01-07-2020, 04:22 PM
short throat on 18" CORE - by gwtx - 01-08-2020, 04:41 PM
short throat on 18" CORE - by Novercalis - 01-10-2020, 01:26 AM
short throat on 18" CORE - by Novercalis - 01-10-2020, 01:29 AM
short throat on 18" CORE - by Novercalis - 01-14-2020, 11:55 PM
short throat on 18" CORE - by A5BLASTER - 01-15-2020, 12:10 AM
short throat on 18" CORE - by Bagdon - 01-16-2020, 11:37 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)