You can buy a stainless steel firing pin and just shorten it till your within spec., approximately .01”.
Here is a link for an AR-15 SS firing pin.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003337891?pid=584490
With a stainless steel firing pin you won’t have to worry about grinding through chrome plating on a carbon steel firing pin.
With a bolt length of 2.810” and a firing pin length of 3.2790” there is a .008” tolerance for firing pin protrusion. The longest pin I ever measured was 3.280” and most FP pins tend to be shorter than 3.279”. I haven’t seen a FP with a length as short for a .008” length (3.2790”-.008=3.2710”
. Everything I read indicates the spec length of 3.2790” with a maximum -.008” tolerance. Most other AR-15 parts are +or- .001”, just not firing pins.
If you add 2.810” + 3.2790” = 6.089”. If your combined length is no higher than this number and with .008” your Firing Pin protrusion should be with in spec with 2.810” bolt.
With a 2.800” bolt and a firing pin length of 3.269” (2.800”+3.2690”=6.069) if your combined length is less than .008” of 6.069” you should be within spec of .028” minimum and maximum .036” FP protrusion.
Here is a link for an AR-15 SS firing pin.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003337891?pid=584490
With a stainless steel firing pin you won’t have to worry about grinding through chrome plating on a carbon steel firing pin.
With a bolt length of 2.810” and a firing pin length of 3.2790” there is a .008” tolerance for firing pin protrusion. The longest pin I ever measured was 3.280” and most FP pins tend to be shorter than 3.279”. I haven’t seen a FP with a length as short for a .008” length (3.2790”-.008=3.2710”
. Everything I read indicates the spec length of 3.2790” with a maximum -.008” tolerance. Most other AR-15 parts are +or- .001”, just not firing pins.If you add 2.810” + 3.2790” = 6.089”. If your combined length is no higher than this number and with .008” your Firing Pin protrusion should be with in spec with 2.810” bolt.
With a 2.800” bolt and a firing pin length of 3.269” (2.800”+3.2690”=6.069) if your combined length is less than .008” of 6.069” you should be within spec of .028” minimum and maximum .036” FP protrusion.

