10-14-2019, 12:27 AM
phishfood Wrote:Resurrecting this thread.
I will post a separate build thread and link to it here, where I will ask for advice on build components, etc.
Linky thingy here: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...ight-build
But I do have another tool question.
Is there any real difference between roll pin punch sets? I need to get a set on the way for next weekend, so that I can proceed further.
The bolt catch pin requires punches that are small in overall diameter or have been flattened. TBH the flattened Wheeler ones often will not stay straight depending on your lower, they are very wide. Little Crow has a very thin set:
https://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/store...p106089764
An alternative method is using 10" Knipex Parallel Jaw Pliers and tape up the jaws. They are pretty spendy though. https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-8603250-10...B000X4OG94
If you plan on trying different bolt catches the KNS pins with C-clips are the way to go. https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/product/...ining-pin/
The trigger guard pin can be done with standard roll pin punch sets, the Knipex pliers above, a small C-clamp or a few special made tools that operate similar to a C-clamp.
The gas tube roll pin can be done with standard roll pin punch sets but you will want a jig or something to hold the gas block in place. Someone else here showed a picture of some wood molding that had the right contour.

