10-13-2019, 11:23 PM
I will post pictures, ask component questions, etc.
The general idea is to build a rifle that covers most practical uses pretty well. Truck gun, hunting rifle, target rifle, self defense, range fun gun, the hope is that these tasks can be mostly covered in a single rifle. Also, I am trying to keep it relatively light, with the thought that a lighter rifle is more likely to be carried, and actually be available for whatever purpose it might be needed for.
The first part of this build is a 16" Faxon Gunner barrel. Right now it has a thread protector on it. I have somewhere between 800-1000 rounds through it, and muzzle rise is a minor problem. I shoot a 16" 5.56 a lot, and the difference in muzzle rise/return to target is very noticeable. So I am thinking about a muzzle device. I really don't want to increase muzzle blast at the firing line any more than absolutely necessary, but do want to tame the rise.
I have had it mounted onto an Anderson upper and lower, with Anderson freefloat handguard and trigger. Just today, I took it off of the upper, and lapped a 2A Arms upper without forward assist. I must say that the Anderson upper was very "tight". The lapping tool had to be wiggled and convinced to drop down into it, and would still stand at attention after the lapping tool was oiled and spun extensively. The 2A Arms upper was not nearly so snug. If it weren't for the FA, I would probably have put the barrel back into the Anderson receiver.
The general idea is to build a rifle that covers most practical uses pretty well. Truck gun, hunting rifle, target rifle, self defense, range fun gun, the hope is that these tasks can be mostly covered in a single rifle. Also, I am trying to keep it relatively light, with the thought that a lighter rifle is more likely to be carried, and actually be available for whatever purpose it might be needed for.
The first part of this build is a 16" Faxon Gunner barrel. Right now it has a thread protector on it. I have somewhere between 800-1000 rounds through it, and muzzle rise is a minor problem. I shoot a 16" 5.56 a lot, and the difference in muzzle rise/return to target is very noticeable. So I am thinking about a muzzle device. I really don't want to increase muzzle blast at the firing line any more than absolutely necessary, but do want to tame the rise.
I have had it mounted onto an Anderson upper and lower, with Anderson freefloat handguard and trigger. Just today, I took it off of the upper, and lapped a 2A Arms upper without forward assist. I must say that the Anderson upper was very "tight". The lapping tool had to be wiggled and convinced to drop down into it, and would still stand at attention after the lapping tool was oiled and spun extensively. The 2A Arms upper was not nearly so snug. If it weren't for the FA, I would probably have put the barrel back into the Anderson receiver.

