Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Starting a parts list for my Grendel upper build
#15
For optics you might want to check out Primary Arms. They have some scopes designed just for ARs. I have two of these. One is on a 223 A4 set up and is 1-6 power the other is on one of my 6.5 Grendel's and is 1-8 power. These have a reticle called ACSS which consists of a 3/4 circle open at the bottom with a inverted V aiming point for inside 200 yards then it has lines under this for 300+ yards to use as a bullet drop compensator that you can light up at different brightness. The brightness settings allow you to set it so dem that at just about dark and latter you can see it and it not wash out your target. This is having the best of both worlds. Set it on 1 power and light up the reticle and you have a red dot but if you need more magnification you have it because you can't shoot what you can't see. The glass on these scopes is very good. Pay attention to what you are being told by most of these fellows because they like me have already been down that road and have learned from their experiences. It pays off in the end to just cry once and get what is known to work. Like has been said about barrels especially. You will get much better results from a better quality stainless barrel. With the less expensive, what ever barrel, you will have about as much in it in ammo and cleaning and aggravation getting them to settle down and shoot than you will with a barrel that cost more to start with but is of much better quality and will shoot right out of the gate. I also suggest that you get a good trigger in the 2.5 to 3.5 lb range. I have one CMC 2.5 lb and four POF 3.5 lb triggers and for the money you can not beat them and they come with locking trigger pins. Check out Joboboutfitters.com and Primary Arm s for best prices usually. I have two 6.5 Grendel's my first was, (I went the cheep way and learned my lessons) A 20" BCA complete upper on an Anderson lower I built. It was a disaster from the get go. Shot about $75 worth of ammo with numerous trips to the range, scope changes etc. and ended up having to send the upper back for a barrel change because it shot patterns not groups. After getting it back I had to put right at 100 rounds of ammo through it before it started to settle down and shoot. It is finicky about what it wants to shoot but I have found a couple loads that it will average sub MOA with and I killed a deer with it this past season at 111 yards with the 120 Speer Gold Dot and it did AWESOME. My second rifle I went with an 18" Oden Works barrel bolt combo built on Anderson upper and lower and it shot well right from day one. This will be my main deer rifle this season where I live in the mountains of TN were a normal shot is under 50 yards. Oh! If you will be handloading get a brass catcher for your rifle. One tip is if you have a dust cover open it BEFORE putting on the brass catcher. Sometimes it will catch on the brass catcher if you don't open it before and cause rifle malfunction.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Starting a parts list for my Grendel upper build - by 1Shot - 09-25-2019, 01:52 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)