09-17-2019, 02:34 PM
lazyengineer Wrote:Thanks for posting this - always useful to see and learn from failures. For a gun and cartridge supposedly considered for military adoption, it damned well better be able to keep up with that rate of fire. I've taken my Grendel 3-gun shooting, and there are video's from Grendel promoters showing full-auto fire. At 52,000 PSI rating, it should be able to take that all day.
For what it's worth, Wolf broke my Grendel extractor last week, on my PSA rig - at just 600 rounds in. 1st shot of the day. That rig has a carbine gas system. And carbine gas systems see a harder life in general. Combine that with Wolf steel, which is loaded on the high end of that (I think), and is steel, and things see a harder life. Still, it shouldn't have broke, and hopefully they will RMA that bolt for you.
In the meantime, I did find one place that has reasonably priced bolts and extractors. PSA supposedly will replace my broken extractor, but haven't yet. So I picked up a couple from Black Rifle Arms, which were under $20. They are selling bolts for $70. For all I know, it's junk; but heck - can't be any worse than the part that broke already.
From everything I've gathered, Wolf steel case doesn't generate much chamber pressure compared to most other factory loads, probably due to the undersized projectiles and 100gr weight.
The biggest contributors to broken bolts in any centerfire bottlenecked AR15 chambering are:
* Bad bolt metallurgy (8620 steel or poor controls on heat treating with any alloy)
* Excessive gas port size on CLGS or MLGS
* Shooting suppressed with a shorter gas system and longer plug dwell with a spec or larger port combined with a high efficiency can
* Receiver face not square
* Running high volume with hot loads
I've been shooting my 12" Grendel almost entirely suppressed with CLGS and 2.9oz buffers with a very high efficiency can, with one of the hottest factory loads out there (120gr Federal Match pushing 2400fps from a 12" Grendel) and I'm way more into a round count than the OP, so there is something wrong somewhere.
OP: What's your gas port diameter? MLGS 14.5" is normally pretty mild on the system.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
