montana Wrote:Stan, I never once endorsed infringing on the right to bear arms, so knock it off. Requiring back ground checks and training such as required for concealed carry is not infringing on that right IMO.The Second Amendment does not say, "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall be subject to whatever requirements and restrictions are deemed appropriate by the government."
I cannot fathom how you think requiring government approval to buy and carry arms is not infringing. What you advocate would turn an unalienable right into a government-granted (and revokable) privilege.
And having read what I typed, it dawns on me that the right to keep and bear arms ceased being a right, and became a privilege the moment that background checks were required in order to buy firearms.
montana Wrote:I believe," un-like you" it would fall under well regulated of the 2ndA.Believing a falsehood does not make it true. State militias were required to be "well regulated" (i.e., properly organized, disciplined, and trained), but citizens were not required to meet militia training standards -- or indeed any standards -- in order to buy, keep and bear arms.
montana Wrote:...mandatory training with back ground checks is preferable to gun bans we already see in California and other places.Except we wouldn't have one or the other. We would have both.
montana Wrote:I have never or will I ever endorse mandatory back ground checks on private firearm sales with the current system.Then you're leaving open a source for nut jobs to get the guns they want to do mass shootings.
montana Wrote:This would become a de-facto gun registration...LOL. It already is de facto gun registration. About 25 years ago a gun I had owned was used to kill someone. One day a homicide detective showed up at my apartment to question me about it, obviously having used the recorded info to locate me.
montana Wrote:...which I will never support.And yet you advocate an idea that would create a registry of every law-abiding gun owner in the country...
