02-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Having only one cartridge, neck diameter and throat would most certainly help out this cartridge! Until this is all ironed out, I think there will continue to be debates and arguments over which cartridge, neck diameter and throat is best. All sorts of convoluted measurements will be done just so someone can claim to have something "different".
I agree with Infidel470 that more velocity would help this cartridge immensely. But, my reluctance comes from the use of the "standard" (most commonly used ones anyhow) barrel extension and bolt. I saw that one manufacturer had come up with a different design for the barrel extension that allowed use of a bolt with much larger lugs. Use of this setup allowed for higher pressures without worrying about broken bolt lugs.
As I have personally had 2 bolts with broken lugs, I would welcome such a change to barrel extension and bolt. However, I don't think that such a setup would really get us much more velocity because of the small capacity of cases of the Grendel type design...regardless of neck diameter and throat design. That said, I would welcome being able to safely load the Grendel type cartridge so that I get another 150 FPS out of the 123 grain bullet. That would raise my 2550 to 2700 FPS, and that is very significant.
Until this modified barrel extension and bolt are available, I'll stay with lower velocity simply because it is my belief that:
"Excess pressure will always find a way out, and it is seldom safe or cheap when it does."
I agree with Infidel470 that more velocity would help this cartridge immensely. But, my reluctance comes from the use of the "standard" (most commonly used ones anyhow) barrel extension and bolt. I saw that one manufacturer had come up with a different design for the barrel extension that allowed use of a bolt with much larger lugs. Use of this setup allowed for higher pressures without worrying about broken bolt lugs.
As I have personally had 2 bolts with broken lugs, I would welcome such a change to barrel extension and bolt. However, I don't think that such a setup would really get us much more velocity because of the small capacity of cases of the Grendel type design...regardless of neck diameter and throat design. That said, I would welcome being able to safely load the Grendel type cartridge so that I get another 150 FPS out of the 123 grain bullet. That would raise my 2550 to 2700 FPS, and that is very significant.
Until this modified barrel extension and bolt are available, I'll stay with lower velocity simply because it is my belief that:
"Excess pressure will always find a way out, and it is seldom safe or cheap when it does."
