Lemonaid Wrote:https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools...58351.aspx
You can make your own starter pin punch with the right size drill bit and a rod. A drill press will aid in getting a straight hole.
A set of roll pin punches are a good investment. Using a roll pin punch one size smaller than the one to get it started will aid in finishing without flaring the end of the roll pin.
If having problems with alignment, a "slave" pin helps a lot. Gunsmiths often have a box of pins of various lengths and diameters for aid in re-assembly of firearms. Making you own is pretty easy (the paperclip method mentioned in OP is a slave pin, but might not be correct diameter to work best.).
As Mv1arms posted, beveling the leading end of the pin will aid in getting it started. That can fix a pin that has been slightly damaged on the end.
Yup, I use the same Precision Reflex GAS BLOCK ASSEMBLY FIXTURE. Roll pin starter punches work great for all roll pins.https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Engineeri...way&sr=8-3 I have noticed some roll pins are a little tighter than others which can be eased in with a little oil or grease. SLR roll pins are very tight compared to others that I have used. If push comes to shove, I would run a drill bit by hand through the hole to open it up just enough.

