07-15-2019, 03:25 PM
I run E-landers, and consider the 17 round version (which looks like a modern bent 20 rounder), my go-to general purpose mag. I also have a 10 round version, for some bench use (though not much advantage to it, since the pistol grip sticks out lower than the mag anyway).
For whatever reason, the Grendel round drags against the magazines lips far more than 5.56 casings do, and it takes a lot more force to strip one out. I'm not really sure why.
To date, I have fired close to 800(?) rounds through my magazines. Cycling reliability has been excellent, be it steel, brass, and even 7.62X39 based brass. Only hang-up I had was on the 10 rounder while it was still new. It had enough drag that the bolt didn't have enough ass to fully strip the round. When I rotated the gun to look, that was enough jostling for the spring to finish stripping. Never happened again. FWIW I just run mine in basic Anderson lowers with PSA uppers, and am happy.
People complain about E-landers being difficult to fill to capacity, though I've had no issues with this, and kind of don't know what folks are talking about there.
Only odd thing about E-landers is with usage, they appear to be getting fatter, and are taking a little more effort to fit into the mag-well. Not really a big deal, and they still seem to drop-free when empty.
This weekend I loaded up an E-lander with 7.62x39 brass based 6.5 CM rounds, that had not yet been fire-formed (i.e the taper was sharper than Grendel). After loading 11 rounds or so, they started to "jumble" in the magazine, but they all fired and cycled 100%.
For whatever reason, the Grendel round drags against the magazines lips far more than 5.56 casings do, and it takes a lot more force to strip one out. I'm not really sure why.
To date, I have fired close to 800(?) rounds through my magazines. Cycling reliability has been excellent, be it steel, brass, and even 7.62X39 based brass. Only hang-up I had was on the 10 rounder while it was still new. It had enough drag that the bolt didn't have enough ass to fully strip the round. When I rotated the gun to look, that was enough jostling for the spring to finish stripping. Never happened again. FWIW I just run mine in basic Anderson lowers with PSA uppers, and am happy.
People complain about E-landers being difficult to fill to capacity, though I've had no issues with this, and kind of don't know what folks are talking about there.
Only odd thing about E-landers is with usage, they appear to be getting fatter, and are taking a little more effort to fit into the mag-well. Not really a big deal, and they still seem to drop-free when empty.
This weekend I loaded up an E-lander with 7.62x39 brass based 6.5 CM rounds, that had not yet been fire-formed (i.e the taper was sharper than Grendel). After loading 11 rounds or so, they started to "jumble" in the magazine, but they all fired and cycled 100%.

