07-01-2019, 03:52 AM
rookie7 Wrote:Thanks for the advice. DIP actually has a link to the mag mod on their website on the page for the bottom plate.
There are other rifles out there that have the mag release in the same location, but with a better design i.e. Browning X-bolt, Ruger American with rotary mag, and I also have a BLR that is similar.
The mag setup may be no problem for many, but for a 12 year old girl sliding a rifle on the rail of a deer stand to get in position on a deer - well, we all know Murphy's law. She isn't strong enough to fully support the rifle, so we have to use a support.
Last year I bought a mini-fortune cookie bag from Weibad to put on the rail of the ladderstand (double). It works really well for a rest for her with added stability.
She killed 3 deer over 3 years with a Ruger Ranch in 300 blackout. I felt "upgrading" to the Howa and Grendel was a good move. The Howa definitely feels like a better quality rifle, and the Grendel is said to perform well on deer.
The Ruger American wasn't without it's unique set of issues though - easy bolt lift when firing pin is cocked which can result in a bolt out of battery which equals "click" instead of "boom".
Nothing is perfect.
That's why I like DIP's mag release so much. It goes in the same spot but is changed so it is flat and you have to pull down on it to release the mag instead of the oem howa type that sticks out like a sore thumb.
That mag release and flush fitting the mag should remove any accendental mag drops while getting setup.
PM me for address if you need help flush fitting the mag. Also I highly suggest the DIP aluminum mag floor plate for the flush fit mag. It just makes it much easyier too do, lot less sanding.
With the mag internals properly modifiyed the mag will hold 4 rounds and lock in on a closed bolt with a round in the chamber.
Also contact hokiepokiekid from this fourm. I bought his bottom metal. It was cheaper then the DIP bottom metal. He may still have a few leavt for sale.

