05-18-2019, 01:34 PM
yeah, the 250 for a billet lower is not what I would do either. Get a good forged lower, BCM comes to mind, or aero, or spikes. Look on joebob for some choices. Lots of good ones for the money, figure about $100 give or take. On the trigger, yes the MBT is a good one, sometimes there is a wait list, or timney 2.5# right off, maybe CMC... with the savings on that lower you can afford to get timney if you need to. I don't assemble any upper receivers, the assembled ones suit me fine. I do build most of the rest of my uppers however, again not very difficult, not many required tools, just mechanical aptitude. Your upper sounds ok.
Watch out on the carbine buffer tube/stock combo's, there are 2 sizes of buffer diameter, commercial or milspec -- I personally don't care which one you choose but they have to match each other. both do the job fine. For a buttstock I'd think of the Magpul CTR or similar, it's adjustable strong and light.
Building an AR is not hard, just take your time and have some written instructions in front of you, there are plenty of how-to's on the net.
Never go "cheap barrel", cheap trigger or "cheap glass" -- none of these will work out and none of them are really cheap. The barrel is the gun. Trigger and glass are right up there. There are several value-oriented but quality parts in barrels, triggers and glass however. They are usually mid-price but worth it. For a bit more money you can get a Criterion barrel (like from precision firearms) but for starters Odin (or ballistic advantage, fluted - what I do for this range of build) are good choices. We also have group buys on barrels and bolts under the Equipment exchange section... good buys definitely.
For the BCG get a good on-sale 556 bcg nitrided or nickel boron and get the group buy bolt from on here, save the 556 bolt for a later use in AR-223/556. I wouldn't get the "on-sale" grendel bcg's b/c most of them are Toolcraft and the TC's may have differing bolt/firing pin length specs that can mess you up. Doing the "556 and swap routine+bolt from the group buy" avoids all of that and you still save some coin.
Watch out on the carbine buffer tube/stock combo's, there are 2 sizes of buffer diameter, commercial or milspec -- I personally don't care which one you choose but they have to match each other. both do the job fine. For a buttstock I'd think of the Magpul CTR or similar, it's adjustable strong and light.
Building an AR is not hard, just take your time and have some written instructions in front of you, there are plenty of how-to's on the net.
Never go "cheap barrel", cheap trigger or "cheap glass" -- none of these will work out and none of them are really cheap. The barrel is the gun. Trigger and glass are right up there. There are several value-oriented but quality parts in barrels, triggers and glass however. They are usually mid-price but worth it. For a bit more money you can get a Criterion barrel (like from precision firearms) but for starters Odin (or ballistic advantage, fluted - what I do for this range of build) are good choices. We also have group buys on barrels and bolts under the Equipment exchange section... good buys definitely.
For the BCG get a good on-sale 556 bcg nitrided or nickel boron and get the group buy bolt from on here, save the 556 bolt for a later use in AR-223/556. I wouldn't get the "on-sale" grendel bcg's b/c most of them are Toolcraft and the TC's may have differing bolt/firing pin length specs that can mess you up. Doing the "556 and swap routine+bolt from the group buy" avoids all of that and you still save some coin.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

