Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
first AR build advice?
#1
I've been shooting and reloading 6.5 Grendel for about a year with a CZ 527 bolt action rifle. The cartridge meets all my expectations and I'm thinking about acquiring more rifles in the chambering, particularly AR-15's. I don't have any AR-15's now in Grendel or any other chambering. I have shot them and I'm familiar with the action but not so much with the current vendor landscape.

I'm going to be looking for a good deal on several stripped lowers, and I will build one of them for this year and the others in years to come. The build I want to complete first will be 6.5 Grendel and I hope to make it a very good rifle indeed from a practical standpoint, without excessive expense. I don't have the standard AR armorer's tools, but other than the expense of acquiring them I'm not intimidated by the build process.

I suppose with respect to Grendel in particular, my questions are mostly about the barrel, BCG, and magazines. Is there really anything else that's Grendel-specific?

For the barrel and BCG, I think I want Odinworks. I know the barrel is probably the most critical component to accuracy. I know there are cheaper barrels from PSA and BCA, but is there a high-end barrel I should be considering instead? AA maybe? From what I know so far, I'm leaning toward an Odin complete billet upper with a 20" barrel and MLOK forend. I like the FA delete and I figure their gas block and BCG are all good choices so I'll save myself some tools and buy it complete.

This first build will probably be a 20" bbl with rifle-length gas system. I want to use it for deer, antelope and predators besides some of the "carbine" training classes. I want to do a top-shelf pistol build in the future but I'm concerned the short barrel, gas system and low weight will result in loud blast, concussion, recoil and quite a handful.

I read someone recommend the Stoner magazines, so maybe I'd get some of those. I figure I'll eventually own about 10 for Grendel and I'd like them to be both good and consistent, so I'm open to further advice.

Beyond the Grendel-specific stuff:

For the lower(s), I'm leaning toward billet for light weight. I figure $250 for a billet lower is worth the weight saved. I'm not looking to spend extravagantly beyond that because for me a forged Aero or Anderson lower would probably be fine. So what's a good billet lower for the money? BAD?

I'd probably finish the lower with a Magpul STR build kit from PSA, but substitute a Geiselle SSA trigger. I need a safe trigger for training classes, home defense, and contingencies besides hunting. I figure beyond the barrel, the trigger is probably the next most important for precision. I know there are drop-ins and single-stage triggers that could be better for precision work, but I need a good all-purpose trigger.

For the optic, probably the EO Tech XPS2 and for hunting a Leupold VX-R.

Without the optics, I'm figuring it will be a little over $1500. The only ways I can see to save some money is to use a forged lower, assemble the upper myself in which case I'd have more expense for tools, or to use a cheaper barrel or trigger which might not really meet my goal.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
first AR build advice? - by stead - 05-18-2019, 05:42 AM
first AR build advice? - by A5BLASTER - 05-18-2019, 12:53 PM
first AR build advice? - by grayfox - 05-18-2019, 01:34 PM
first AR build advice? - by stead - 05-18-2019, 06:12 PM
first AR build advice? - by Gusmeister - 05-18-2019, 09:17 PM
first AR build advice? - by HickLife - 05-18-2019, 09:36 PM
first AR build advice? - by A5BLASTER - 05-18-2019, 10:20 PM
first AR build advice? - by BCHunter - 05-18-2019, 11:41 PM
first AR build advice? - by grayfox - 05-19-2019, 12:24 AM
first AR build advice? - by HickLife - 05-19-2019, 12:39 AM
first AR build advice? - by Bigs28 - 05-19-2019, 12:53 AM
first AR build advice? - by A5BLASTER - 05-19-2019, 02:02 AM
first AR build advice? - by grayfox - 05-19-2019, 02:03 AM
first AR build advice? - by HickLife - 05-19-2019, 02:10 PM
first AR build advice? - by AZHTfreak - 05-20-2019, 03:18 PM
first AR build advice? - by LRRPF52 - 05-20-2019, 03:47 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)