05-17-2019, 12:10 PM
22lr Wrote:I mention power because my favorite outdoor range rounds might be 22lr, 357 mag, and 556. But 7.26 Nato gongs steel a lot louder and that's fun to me.
Also my favorite shooting experience is to rent land up north from where we live and bring various household items. We have a big vehicle and I save things like keyboards, printers, monitors or just buy broken ones on ebay to shoot when we take trips to rural locations because the range I belong to forbids the shooting of anything but standard paper/steel/pigeon targets. Wife doesn't care but the kids and I basically destroy just about anything and we all really love that. And more power vs printers or empty water jugs always ups the fun factor especially if my 10 and 12 year old boys are shooting at the same thing at the same time in the same spot!
Don't get me wrong, I shoot for accuracy at close range like 5 or 10 yards to make the same hole which is a trick I learned in archery because at that range if you are not shooting in the same place then you have to remember how it felt and if you catch yourself doing that mistake again you stop and rethink your shot.
I really don't think 7.62 NATO or any of the other centerfire (non magnum) cartdrige has that much recoil in the end. As long as the rifle is not too light (like Savage Axis) they are all kind of the same to me up to 200y. 308 in a semi auto, 6.8spc, 30-30, 7.62x39, 30 06, 30-40 krag, 44 mag, they really don't change much up to 200y. I understand that the Grendel has some capabilities that promote the AR a little bit but like all cartridges you can tinker with them to do that. All cartridges then are pretty tinker-able but the tinkering of any of them, including the Grendel is not relevant to me.
Well OK, so basically 6.5 is just another centerfire cartridge inside of 200y. I just needed ammo, no pun intended to say that 556 is probably my value, followed by 762 which I buy in bulk for super cheap. Not dissing the Grendel, just wanting to hear why people like it (which I knew were the reasons why I shouldn't) to shut down all such inquiries and requests for me to do same as I already own too many rifles, at least according to everyone I know.
I am not such a slob, I can hit fragments of clay pigeon, not just the whole thing but little pieces at 200y with most cartridges I shoot. I just went to Vegas and did an outdoor shoot that involved my hitting man sized targets at 720y with a Dragunov once I figured the hold so I am not that bad. I think I could be competitive in precision rifle but.... I just don't care. Seems like too much effort when I can hit everything I want with minimal cost and involvement. I used to race cars at a low level (track days & autocross) but gave up because I had to spend way more time preparing and fixing than I did actually doing the activities. Shooting and archery attracted me because I could just do it and do it pretty well with minimal maintenance especially since I did it as a kid and my kids love it so it's more family friendly.
I've gravitated to 556 just because of its plinking value, agreed with Nightfisher. I respect those who enjoy the Grendel but your reasons for doing so are not relevant to me and it helps me rebut requests to join the club. Thanks for giving me ammo to rebuff my pain in the ass friend who cringes at my shooting hundreds of rounds of cheapo ammo every range trip to his high priced, match grade 30-40 rounds of 6.5's trying to make the same hole. Guess who is a better shot, well not he!
22LR:
I agree with you. In your case, stick with the surplus ammo and service rifles.
Let me add something. Since you have no interest in the Grendel, there is no real reason for you to be here. So, you ought to go to a forum oriented towards surplus ammo and surplus rifles.
So, I will lock this thread before it gets out of hand.
LR55
