04-15-2019, 01:37 AM
I've decided to go ahead and swap out my BCA barrel myself but I don't have a couple of months to wait for a Krieger or similar quality barrel. I've been reading reviews all over and it honestly seems like the Grendel is abnormally difficult to build a barrel for and I don't understand why. Reviews are either extremely great or exceptionally horrible and it doesn't seem to matter what manufacturer it is. That brings me to back to this forum and the wisdom that y'all have collected.
I want a 18-20" barrel and since I'm already set up for RLGS, I don't see a reason to change that but I will if needed. I prefer a lighter weight barrel as I do a lot of walking and this is a hunting rifle. I have many rifles so I would really like this to be a shooter with at least one factory load and especially with handloads, preferably with the SST, but that seems to be asking a lot from the Grendel.
I've found a Faxon Gunner 18" MLGS, Odin Works 20" with free adjustable gas block, Ballistic Advantage 18" fluted, 18" Satern MLGS, Faxon Heavy fluted 18" MLGS, and a Criterion 18". The weight from lightest to heaviest here is the Gunner, BA Fluted, Faxon Heavy fluted, then the 3 non fluted. There's also the Group Buy but it's pretty heavy too.
Do any of these options stand out as a better choice over the others as far as consistently being more accurate in the Grendel chambering? Do any of these choices have a history of liking the SST load?
I'm leaning towards the Faxon Gunner simply due to the weight, but it's not a lot lighter than the next two fluted options. I do like the black color better in the woods also. Thanks for any advice.
I want a 18-20" barrel and since I'm already set up for RLGS, I don't see a reason to change that but I will if needed. I prefer a lighter weight barrel as I do a lot of walking and this is a hunting rifle. I have many rifles so I would really like this to be a shooter with at least one factory load and especially with handloads, preferably with the SST, but that seems to be asking a lot from the Grendel.
I've found a Faxon Gunner 18" MLGS, Odin Works 20" with free adjustable gas block, Ballistic Advantage 18" fluted, 18" Satern MLGS, Faxon Heavy fluted 18" MLGS, and a Criterion 18". The weight from lightest to heaviest here is the Gunner, BA Fluted, Faxon Heavy fluted, then the 3 non fluted. There's also the Group Buy but it's pretty heavy too.
Do any of these options stand out as a better choice over the others as far as consistently being more accurate in the Grendel chambering? Do any of these choices have a history of liking the SST load?
I'm leaning towards the Faxon Gunner simply due to the weight, but it's not a lot lighter than the next two fluted options. I do like the black color better in the woods also. Thanks for any advice.

