02-05-2012, 04:55 PM
elkbow Wrote:stokes, did you ever read what I said? And why would AMU test like that, why would they eliminate the lower if it has no affect on accuracy?
I'm not stokes, but knowing stokes, I'm sure he did. The AMU tested like that because they have recognized that the lower plays no significant part in accuracy. The bolt locks into the barrel extension, and there is no stress contact with the bolt or barrel from the lower except in the takedown pins and the infintesiminally short time the hammer strikes the firing pin. The lower only serves the purpose of seperating the firing pin from the trigger and mounting the upper so that may occur.
also, 'regardles of that I still like a tight fit'? why?
For the same reason I do, he doesn't like rattles. That's why he ordered a fitted upper/lower from Les Baer.
guys are you talking about experience or what you read? geez.....
stokes has shot like 50-60 Nationals level matches in the last two years or so, if I remember right. Including shooting Camp Perry every year for years now. I'm guessing its a combination of experience and talking with Nationals level shooters, coaches, and armorers. You don't get to spend enough time with the AMU to find out that kind of stuff unless you are a ways up the shooting ladder on a National level.
ok, post away, i won't be posting, normally don't get in these debates, i'll stick with what I know and my experience....you stick with what you think or read
I'm sorry t hear that. Hearing differences of opinion and experience, and hashing through why they happen and the thought processes behind them are what make these kinds of boards worthwhile. So long as it doesn't get personally offensive, those conversations are very helpful to less experienced shooters.
I'll leave you with a parting though, if i'm shooting off of shooting sticks, I have loose takedown pins, forearm is on the sticks. First shot I shoot I apply pressure rearward on the grip, second shot I apply pressure forward on the grip, where is the pressure on the upper? any affect?
That's an interesting question, never have tried it, and I wonder if it will have any effect. So long as the hammer can strike the firing pin with appropriate force, I see no effect. The bolt is locked into the barrel extension, and I assume the barrel is free floated, so there is no stress on it from the upper.
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. - John Galt
