Range report # 2
Rifle changes from report #1 are:
LaRue trigger installed (nice), removal of flash hider and inspection of crown.
The crown looked fine except I think I detected a very small raised lip when I used a sharp toothpick to check it.
I chucked up a surplus .223 case in a hand drill and used some very fine lapping compound and smoothed it out. (the shoulder of the .223 case making a beveled surface)
On closer inspection of cleaned brass there were tool marks from making the chamber so polished that out (mostly) with a fired case drilled out and then fitted to a rod, again with mild lapping goop. The cleaned and polished with Flitz.
Added MagPul stock, Trigger guard and pistol grip.
Monopod still in construction phase.
Sunny, 45 degrees, very light to no wind.
Reader's Digest version first.
Accuracy winners. All loads for testing are unfired Hornady brass, CCI 450 primer, Sierra 130 Game Changers, 2.280" OAL 3 round groups.
#1 28.0 CFE 223 .600"
#2 24.6 8208 XBR .780"
#3 25.8 8208 XBR .920
#4 24.6 H332 .987
Long version
CFE 223 27.5=1.800 27.7=1.060 28.0=.600 28.4=1.630 28.7=1.250 29.0 (5 rounds)=1.943
At 29.0 Ejector marks were getting bad. Primers still look fine
8208 XBR 23.7=1.355 24.0=1.185 24.3=1.372 24.6=.780 25.3=1.850 25.6=1.907 25.8=.920 26.0=1.110
H332 24.0=1.132 24.3=1.250 24.6=.987 25.0=1.110 25.2=1.350 25.6=1.117
Stopped the ladder at 25.6 due to bad ejector marks. Compressed crunching occured at 26.0
Being unfamiliar with the Burris P.E.P.R. quick detach scope mount, I did not have the camming levers tight enough. I noticed this after the second group testing of the CFE 223 ladder while dry firing (reticle jump).
I am relieved to see that most of the groups were less than 1.5 inches and the winners were less than 1 inch.
Next range report I will test 123 grain Hornady eld match not in ladder form, just with seating depth plus a 5 round group of the #1 winner.
Got pics scanned in but wrong size. If I figure out how to resize them I'll put them up.
Rifle changes from report #1 are:
LaRue trigger installed (nice), removal of flash hider and inspection of crown.
The crown looked fine except I think I detected a very small raised lip when I used a sharp toothpick to check it.
I chucked up a surplus .223 case in a hand drill and used some very fine lapping compound and smoothed it out. (the shoulder of the .223 case making a beveled surface)
On closer inspection of cleaned brass there were tool marks from making the chamber so polished that out (mostly) with a fired case drilled out and then fitted to a rod, again with mild lapping goop. The cleaned and polished with Flitz.
Added MagPul stock, Trigger guard and pistol grip.
Monopod still in construction phase.
Sunny, 45 degrees, very light to no wind.
Reader's Digest version first.
Accuracy winners. All loads for testing are unfired Hornady brass, CCI 450 primer, Sierra 130 Game Changers, 2.280" OAL 3 round groups.
#1 28.0 CFE 223 .600"
#2 24.6 8208 XBR .780"
#3 25.8 8208 XBR .920
#4 24.6 H332 .987
Long version
CFE 223 27.5=1.800 27.7=1.060 28.0=.600 28.4=1.630 28.7=1.250 29.0 (5 rounds)=1.943
At 29.0 Ejector marks were getting bad. Primers still look fine
8208 XBR 23.7=1.355 24.0=1.185 24.3=1.372 24.6=.780 25.3=1.850 25.6=1.907 25.8=.920 26.0=1.110
H332 24.0=1.132 24.3=1.250 24.6=.987 25.0=1.110 25.2=1.350 25.6=1.117
Stopped the ladder at 25.6 due to bad ejector marks. Compressed crunching occured at 26.0
Being unfamiliar with the Burris P.E.P.R. quick detach scope mount, I did not have the camming levers tight enough. I noticed this after the second group testing of the CFE 223 ladder while dry firing (reticle jump).
I am relieved to see that most of the groups were less than 1.5 inches and the winners were less than 1 inch.
Next range report I will test 123 grain Hornady eld match not in ladder form, just with seating depth plus a 5 round group of the #1 winner.
Got pics scanned in but wrong size. If I figure out how to resize them I'll put them up.

