Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Mil dot holdover???
#10
I can see two different disciplines with different zeros described here.

For hunting, most agree that a 200yd zero provides the best point blank zero with high power, center-fire rifle cartridges, since you keep the trajectory within a narrow imaginary tube for the longest distance.

For shooting human silhouettes or steel at further distances, you might use another zero if you are relying on holds, or better yet, just dial as LR1955 stated.

I prefer to dial either way, and like scopes that have rugged target knobs with solid, repeatable gears. If I don't have time to dial, I know that I will get out to 300yds no problem, and will hold on the head/neck area often on a man-size silhouette. For a medium game target with a 10" or smaller kill zone, I want to be as precise as possible, especially as the distance comes into play.

.270 Winchester is hard to beat when it comes to a flat-shooter within 500yds, and I grew up loving that cartridge/rifle, with my dad's Pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight. Shooting water jugs was always a pleasure since it made them explode on contact.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Mil dot holdover??? - by neandrakall - 01-31-2012, 01:24 AM
Mil dot holdover??? - by Drifter - 01-31-2012, 04:20 AM
Mil dot holdover??? - by LR1955 - 01-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Mil dot holdover??? - by Drifter - 01-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Mil dot holdover??? - by LR1955 - 01-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Mil dot holdover??? - by Drifter - 02-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Mil dot holdover??? - by LR1955 - 02-01-2012, 01:40 AM
Mil dot holdover??? - by neandrakall - 02-01-2012, 01:40 AM
Mil dot holdover??? - by Drifter - 02-01-2012, 04:15 AM
Mil dot holdover??? - by LRRPF52 - 02-01-2012, 05:23 AM
Mil dot holdover??? - by LR1955 - 02-01-2012, 01:28 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)