02-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the additional info. I understand your points.
I use a 200-yard zero, and while I usually dial up with the elevation turret for target shooting out to 600 yards, I sometimes use a combination of dialing up and holdover. For example, my drop at 600 is 4.3 mils for a particular load. As practice for potential hunting applications where as a quick shot needs to be taken (or at least in less time compared to informal bench shooting), and potentially in low light when dialing up 43 clicks wouldn't be ideal, I'll dial up 3 clicks and hold on the 4-mil line. Works very effectively with the right scope (using a FFP reticle such as Gen II XR, NF MLR2.0, USO GAP, etc at somewhere around 15x to 17x, with 0.1-mil clicks).
Admittedly, I don't have to deal with much wind since I usually do my informal shooting on a wooded path (although I do seem to get ~0.1 mil of spin drift at 600 yards). Thus, your points seem valid if attempting to hold for both elevation and windage (especially if the turrets do not match reticle). Thanks again for sharing your insight.
I use a 200-yard zero, and while I usually dial up with the elevation turret for target shooting out to 600 yards, I sometimes use a combination of dialing up and holdover. For example, my drop at 600 is 4.3 mils for a particular load. As practice for potential hunting applications where as a quick shot needs to be taken (or at least in less time compared to informal bench shooting), and potentially in low light when dialing up 43 clicks wouldn't be ideal, I'll dial up 3 clicks and hold on the 4-mil line. Works very effectively with the right scope (using a FFP reticle such as Gen II XR, NF MLR2.0, USO GAP, etc at somewhere around 15x to 17x, with 0.1-mil clicks).
Admittedly, I don't have to deal with much wind since I usually do my informal shooting on a wooded path (although I do seem to get ~0.1 mil of spin drift at 600 yards). Thus, your points seem valid if attempting to hold for both elevation and windage (especially if the turrets do not match reticle). Thanks again for sharing your insight.
Drifter

