Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Tuning a 20" rifle length gas system.
#3
Wow, thank you Klem!!!

I do want to pick up an AGB, but getting a good one in Canada is a chore. Considering I know my way around a machine shop, the drilling process isn't too much of a problem. I was initially concerned when I ordered the JP Low Mass carrier, and didn't want to be grossly over gassed. I'm partially curious if anyone is running a non adjustable system with a larger than .0935" port? The next number size is a pretty small jump, only .0025", unlike the .0045" on my last step. I'm glad I did it this way and know I'm not super over gassed and beating the snot out of stuff.

Restricted class doesn't mean fixed butt stock, we can have collapsible provided the OAL is greater than 26", which with a required (on autoloaders) 18.5" barrel isn't difficult.

Since we are going into a deep freeze right now, I'm not in a hurry to get this tuned. I picked up a Magpul G3 PRS stock which has the parts to work on a carbine tube, I'll pick up the associated parts and tune with weight. This is a learning experience for me, so I like seeing how small increments affect the whole system. Tinkering with buffer weights would be simple enough with a measureable result.

We're limited to magazines riveted to 5 rounds, so there is next to no spring pressure. A loophole allows us to use 'pistol' magazines with 10 shot capacity, God Bless you guys for .223 and .308 'pistols'!!! I have a pile of CPD .223 and 7.62x39 ten shot mags, these don't seem to tax my thumbs like a full 30 does.

Again, excellent info, thank you! I'm going to get a carbine tube/spring/buffer and work on tuning that way. If I can get a decent AGB, I'll go larger on the port down the road. If the SHTF tonight, I'll grab the Dewalt and a #41 drill LOL
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Tuning a 20" rifle length gas system. - by Klem - 01-27-2019, 11:41 PM
Tuning a 20" rifle length gas system. - by PGW Steve - 01-28-2019, 04:59 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)