Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
6.5 Grendel build & results
#1
Just back from the range a few days ago and to say that I'm pleased with my Grendel build would be an understatement. This build started after I picked up a used Sabre Defence 16" Grendel barrel, bolt, gas block, mags, and a couple boxes of Hornady Black ammo for a *very good* price! I have no idea how many rounds had been put through this bbl before I got it, but I know it had at least 2 prior owners.

Went shopping for other components last summer and ended up with an Aero upper receiver and a Seekins NOXs MLok freefloat handguard. Needless to say, I soon had much more in this upper than I originally intended. I already had a spare Bolt Carrier, charging handle, and scope, so I mated the upper with the old Sabre Defence 5.56 lower I already had.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13534[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13535[/ATTACH]

After a range trip last summer, I was severely disappointed. The gun would group a couple of shots, then start spreading them all over the paper. I put it away for a few months until I had time to work on it again. I was wondering if maybe the scope (not pictured) I had picked up in a trade had possibly some loose internal components. It's an old 1" Burris 4-12x R/A mini scope that has limited eye relief, but it should have been solid for testing purposes. As I got ready to remove it and the cheap Chinese cantilevered mount, I discovered the scope mount thru-bolts weren't tight on the Picatinny rail! I violated one of my own rules of always checking all screws & mounts for tightness before heading to the range! Tightened it up and took it to the range. After checking it at 50 yds with a couple of shots, I moved out to 100 yards and started adjusting the scope for zero. It was obvious it wanted to shoot:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13536[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13537[/ATTACH]

Once I made my final adjustments, here is the final group. First shot (top) was immediately after adjusting the elevation and windage turrets. Last 4 shots are beside the dime. Using Hornady American Gunner bulk ammo from Sportsman's Warehouse. Rest was handguard laying on 1 sandbag atop a wooden 4x4 block. No sandbags or support in rear...just snugged up against my shoulder. These Sabre barrels can shoot!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13538[/ATTACH]


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
                   
Reply


Messages In This Thread
6.5 Grendel build & results - by Old_School - 01-14-2019, 06:11 PM
6.5 Grendel build & results - by michael1778 - 01-14-2019, 07:30 PM
6.5 Grendel build & results - by Old_School - 01-15-2019, 02:36 AM
6.5 Grendel build & results - by Texas - 01-15-2019, 04:29 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)