Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Any do's and dont's when breaking in a new Grendel?
#10
1Shot Wrote:The bullets in Wolf ammo are under size we are told .263 not .264 so they may not fully engage the rifling especially on R5 rifling. I have not and will not shoot it myself in my Grendel's. I have shot their 7.62x39 lacquer coated steel case ammo in my SKS's but cleaned the chamber really good with lacquer thinner every so often because when the barrel and chamber started to get hot the lacquer on the cases would melt and cause function problems. That is the reason that Wolf introduced the poly coated cases. I am not sure what coating their Grendel ammo has.

If lacquer coating causes rampant malfunctions, why do Russia and China continue to use it on their issue ammo?

My take is that polymer coating is cheaper for Wolf than lacquer, and the "melting lacquer" hypothesis has taken hold in the US with no actual proof.

ETA: my own anecdotal evidence regarding lacquer vs polymer coating is based on polymer coated 5.56 cases sticking in a US manufactured M85 barrel, while the couple of spam cans of 7N6 I've used before it's cost advantages were offset gave me no issues as far as extraction goes.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Any do's and dont's when breaking in a new Grendel? - by towerofpower93 - 01-13-2019, 02:55 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)