Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Any do's and dont's when breaking in a new Grendel?
#3
The best thing I did with my second AR 6.5 Grendel to increase accuracy over my first AR 6.5 Grendel was to put an Oden Works barrel group on it. Right out of the gate it was a shooter. My first AR 6.5 Grendel was a complete BCA upper which I had to send back to them to have the barrel replaced because best it would do was 5" at 100 yards, every shot was a flier. When I got it back, 20" fluted SS barrel, I had to shoot between 60 and 70 rounds to get it to settle down and shoot under 1". Before this round count it would throw 1 or 2 fliers in every 5 shot group. I was beginning to think it was me and my shooting form that was causing it but I did not have any problem shooting any other AR. Then all of a sudden between 60 and 70 rounds down the tube the fliers went away. With the handloads it likes, it is picky, it will average 3/4" now. Both of my rifles do not like the Hornady 123 SST bullet in either factory or handloads. They love 120 Sierra Pro Hunter and Speer Gold Dots. By the way both of my ARs have ran like a sewing machine from the get go except when I tried to shoot some handloads with 100 gr Sierra HP bullets without crimping them with a Lee Factory Crimp Die in the BCA. That big HP would catch and drive the bullet back into the case and misfeed in the BCA. I put a crimp on and it functioned but I did not do a load workup with these bullets. I just had them on the shelf and loaded up some to see if the lighter bullet would make any difference in the accuracy of my first BCA rifle but it still scattered them like every other bullet. With both rifle I did like I do with any new rifle. For 5 shots I would shoot 1 and clean. Then shoot 5 and clean then 10 and clean. I usually do not clean the bore of any rifle until accuracy starts to drop off unless I have been out in the rain or snow with a chance of moisture getting in the bore. I will clean the chamber and actions no the bore. I have seen people do more damage by cleaning a bore too much than can ever be done by shooting it.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Any do's and dont's when breaking in a new Grendel? - by 1Shot - 01-10-2019, 02:17 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)