01-06-2019, 04:04 PM
Wheelhorse Wrote:I believe that if I had an upper/barrel that wouldn't slip together, I would put the upper in an oven at a low setting for an hour or so while the barrel was in a freezer.
This would heat the upper more evenly than a heat gun or hair dryer.
This is the method I use on chainsaw crankshaft bearings and they fall right in.
Just FYI. BCM's instructions for installing their Alpha handguards are probably being overly cautious, but they say:
"NEVER use an oven to bake or heat parts. It is not a precise way to apply heat, and the oils/solvents/chemicals present can contaminate an oven making it unusable. To warm up cold parts, we recommend use of a hair dryer or heat gun (on LOW). Extremely hot parts are difficult to handle without causing damage."
Probably would apply to installing barrels just as much.
https://www.bravocompanymfg.com/download...ctions.pdf

