Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Stiffining a Howa mini forend
#4
I stiffened my stock forend on my Howa Mini. I noticed that it seemed to flex a lot from where the ribs started on the stock. I did grind down the lip at the end of the forend since this was the main striking point as well at least 1/8" lower, probably more like 1/4" lower.

This is what I did with mine:

Trim down the plastic ribs, fill area between ribs with steel epoxy putty.

Put some aluminum channel on top of the putty/ribs (needed to drill out a hole for the bipod screw to go thru). I got some channel that goes around plywood edges. I ground down the channel walls so it was between 1/8" and 3/16" tall; I should have done it all to 1/8". It's a pain to work on it now that it's epoxied in place. I pushed the aluminum channel right up to the last solid section of the stock before the ribs started.

JB Kwik weld the whole mess in place. I also bedded the front of the recoil lug and the chamber barrel of the area with JB Kwik Weld in 2 coats after masking off and coating parts of the rifle I didn't want epoxy to get into.

It added noticeable weight to the forend, which reduced hop when shooting from a bench/bipod. The barrel does not contact the aluminum channel, even when I squeeze it with one hand very hard; I can still slip paper between the barrel and stock with a lot of pressure on the stock.

Some other thoughts:

Filling the rib spaces with steel epoxy putty may work alone. The stock seems to flex there primarily. It adds a good bit of weight though!

CWLongshot has a good idea to drill thru the ribs from the front of the forend and install some carbon fiber tubes. This way they can be anchored into the solid part of the stock before the ribs/pockets start. Just need to either remove and reinstall the bipod sling stud or do a rod on each side. You could also flip over the aluminum channel and make slots in the ribs and kinda inlay the channel into the ribs, then epoxy into place.

I am probably going to fill the butt of the stock with Great Stuff eventually. My rail/rings/scope combo doesn't seem to need a higher cheek rest, but I may do a wider one in Kydex so it's not as narrow on my face at the top of the stock.

Or just put it into the MDT BRN-1 Chassis with Luth AR MBA-3 and Hogue pistol grip Smile
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Stiffining a Howa mini forend - by cwlongshot - 01-04-2019, 10:32 AM
Stiffining a Howa mini forend - by Frontier Gear - 01-04-2019, 01:44 PM
Stiffining a Howa mini forend - by FW Conch - 01-04-2019, 01:58 PM
Stiffining a Howa mini forend - by Taz575 - 01-05-2019, 05:03 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)