Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Best powder for Grendel
#23
grendelnubi Wrote:I have done a lot of testing with my 12.7 faxon group buy barrel using CFE, AR Comp, 8208, Ramshot X-Term, and AA 2550. If I were to choose only one particular powder, it would be 8208. Overall it shot tighter groups than the other powders I tested, just not the tightest group for a specific projectile. I would always seem to find a different powder that shot a little better but again, if I were to select one powder, it would 8208.

CFE is good but I believe I was trying to push it to hard in the heat of summer and did experience some pressure issues. I'm out of it now and I don't see any reason to try it again.

Bullet wise, my barrel likes any nosler over any hornady. Each barrel is different however.


Kilco Wrote:8208XBR has been the best all around regarding accuracy/velocity/temp stability with all of my Grendels.

I can find powders that can do one or 2 of those things better than 8208 but not all three. ARCOMP is a close second but I hate how much I have to compress charges. In a couple situations it has given me OAL variances. YMMV of course.

Alot of folks seem to like CFE223. I hate the stuff. In my 5.56s, 308s and Grendels I've found it inconsistent and dirty as hell. In my 204 Ruger bolt gun I popped a primer on a warm day with a load that showed no pressure signs at 60 degrees with CFE.


Gents: care to expand on what weight bullet(s) you're using with the 8208? Picked up a box of 123gr ELD-M and have pounds of 8208 at the house for my 77gr 223 loads, but have started a list of what powders reloaders claim to work best with 90gr-120gr bullets and those projectiles which are 120gr and up, based on user input across this forum and others.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Best powder for Grendel - by Old Soldat - 01-20-2016, 04:07 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by Fredman - 01-20-2016, 04:46 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by SG4247 - 01-20-2016, 04:49 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by bwaites - 01-20-2016, 05:42 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by jonny rotton - 01-20-2016, 05:45 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by joker31 - 01-20-2016, 05:53 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by SG4247 - 01-20-2016, 06:52 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by 1911man - 01-20-2016, 06:59 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by 1911man - 01-20-2016, 07:03 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by 65Whelen - 01-21-2016, 05:48 AM
Best powder for Grendel - by Old Soldat - 01-21-2016, 02:17 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by mseric - 01-22-2016, 01:37 AM
Best powder for Grendel - by Lazermule - 12-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by grendelnubi - 12-11-2018, 12:26 AM
Best powder for Grendel - by Texas - 12-11-2018, 01:23 AM
Best powder for Grendel - by Kilco - 12-11-2018, 01:47 AM
Best powder for Grendel - by Lazermule - 12-11-2018, 01:54 AM
Best powder for Grendel - by A5BLASTER - 12-11-2018, 02:41 AM
Best powder for Grendel - by 1Shot - 12-11-2018, 01:25 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by towerofpower93 - 12-11-2018, 04:42 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by meatsweats - 12-11-2018, 05:58 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by slip357 - 12-11-2018, 06:10 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by Londerko - 12-11-2018, 06:26 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by Kilco - 12-11-2018, 06:45 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by rickt300 - 12-11-2018, 07:52 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by Londerko - 12-11-2018, 07:55 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by Kilco - 12-11-2018, 08:24 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by Londerko - 12-11-2018, 10:14 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by Kilco - 12-12-2018, 12:35 AM
Best powder for Grendel - by towerofpower93 - 12-12-2018, 12:43 AM
Best powder for Grendel - by 1Shot - 12-12-2018, 01:03 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by TheGameMaster - 06-26-2020, 07:27 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by FLshooter - 06-27-2020, 12:40 AM
Best powder for Grendel - by SDguy - 06-27-2020, 12:25 PM
Best powder for Grendel - by rball - 01-22-2016, 03:40 AM
Best powder for Grendel - by 6.5 Grendel - 01-22-2016, 04:13 AM
Best powder for Grendel - by Kendoist4162 - 01-22-2016, 05:21 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)