12-11-2018, 04:04 PM
Sturmgewehr Wrote:The various SS alloys have varying degrees of rust resistance.Takes me back to my first job, working for a Gov't contractor in the textiles industry (think backpacks and missile slings). In many cases the specs called for hardware made from "304 CRES". CRES being their abbreviation for Corrosion Resistant Steel.
316 is very rust resistant. 304 is cheaper but will spot and rust slowly in a normal outdoor environment.
409 used in factory automotive exhaust will rust a lot quicker but still make the required longevity for warranty. And is cheaper than 304.
I haven't looked at 410 to 416 since it's not used in my industry or other hobbies.
I grew up in the desert so my rust prevention habits are very poor since it was almost a none problem in my youth.
I've had no issues with my 3 yr old SS 92FS with very little maintenance that's "indoors" most of the time but not sealed up or anything.

