Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
PSA 18" Rifle-Length 6.5 Grendel 1:8 Stainless Steel 15" Lightweight Opinion?
#13
MaineAR Wrote:In my experience, stainless steel isn’t “stainless”. But I do have a basement where my firearms are kept and my gun cabinet doesn’t have a dehumidifier. I have one for the basement and I circulate the air as best I can but that only works so well. So if I can get my barrels nitride finished, it’s an extra layer of protection for me. I suppose I could aluma-hyde the exterior of the barrel and spray some sort of lube/oil in the barrel to keep corrosion/rust at bay.


There are a number of current-tech solutions for that.

Anti-corrosion impregnated material that protects within a certain distance.
  • Vapor tabs
  • Plastic gun bags
  • Tube strips in your barrel.


Zerust/Excor makes this stuff for guns and other industry applications. They call the technology 'VCI' (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor). Basically it gives off nano particles which coats the metal and prevents surface corrosion. All their products are a yellow in colour. They also make those yellow plastic tabs you find in die boxes. You can buy the same tabs in bulk from Brownells. I live near the beach with plenty of salt water in the air and a couple of vapour tabs in the safe work fine - no corrosion on any stainless barrels. Spare barrels get wrapped in impregnated plastic sleeves for longer term storage.

There's also a product called Montmorrilonite clay dessicant that works in conjunction with copper. Draws corrosive vapour away form the gun and neutralises it. Intercept Technology are moving into the firearms industry with this. I think they also work with a company called PreservAll.

Just buy a couple of Zerust VC2-2 vapour capsules from Amazon. Stick them on the inside wall of your safe and forget about it for a couple of years.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
PSA 18" Rifle-Length 6.5 Grendel 1:8 Stainless Steel 15" Lightweight Opinion? - by Klem - 12-07-2018, 03:50 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)