Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
3D Printed Free Float Rail
#5
The handguard feels as stiff as the aluminum it replaced. Theres no perceivable bend or movement when pushing on it. Heat is the biggest concern since it is a thermo plastic. PLA starts getting soft around 140° F, so it wont take long to reach that, especially around the gas tube. I would say I would get have to worry about serious softening after about 10 rounds fired in short succession. So definitely not something suitable for most applications in a semi auto rifle, but for hunting I think it will do.

EDIT TO ADD: I should also mention that my ultimate goal is to print the final version in nylon which will have much greater durability and temperature resistance, something I could probably dump a mag with and not have to worry about melting. Prototyping in the PLA is just much cheaper and easier at the moment.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
3D Printed Free Float Rail - by Sixoeight - 12-05-2018, 04:15 AM
3D Printed Free Float Rail - by FRB6.5 - 12-05-2018, 04:31 AM
3D Printed Free Float Rail - by jhoyda - 12-05-2018, 01:13 PM
3D Printed Free Float Rail - by depletedyourcranium - 12-05-2018, 01:32 PM
3D Printed Free Float Rail - by bj139 - 12-05-2018, 04:29 PM
3D Printed Free Float Rail - by bj139 - 12-06-2018, 02:21 AM
3D Printed Free Float Rail - by jhoyda - 12-07-2018, 02:55 PM
3D Printed Free Float Rail - by Sixoeight - 12-08-2018, 06:52 AM
3D Printed Free Float Rail - by Sixoeight - 12-09-2018, 07:12 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)