Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
3D Printed Free Float Rail
#1
I've been trying to shed some weight where I can without spending too much money on my lightweight build and thought I'd try with a 3D printed plastic handguard. I've also had an issue with the aluminum rails getting very cold on hunts and figured this would also alleviate that issue as well.

[Image: 6Cij7wC.jpg]

[Image: JoUCfM2.jpg]

[Image: VKa2lWd.jpg]

My brother did the printing but I did the CAD work. So far the 7 inch plastic tube will save .48 lbs over the 15 inch aluminum ALG rail, which was already pretty light. The plastic rail weighed .19 lbs, which is about half of what a similar length aluminum rail would weigh.

I think the final design will extend on out past the gas block and include a few strengthening ribs along the base. When I get the next one printed I might try a little stress testing on the old one to see what kind of abuse it can take. This one was printed with PLA and is very rigid, works pretty good at staying off the barrel even with the close clearance.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
3D Printed Free Float Rail - by depletedyourcranium - 12-05-2018, 04:07 AM
3D Printed Free Float Rail - by Sixoeight - 12-05-2018, 04:15 AM
3D Printed Free Float Rail - by FRB6.5 - 12-05-2018, 04:31 AM
3D Printed Free Float Rail - by jhoyda - 12-05-2018, 01:13 PM
3D Printed Free Float Rail - by bj139 - 12-05-2018, 04:29 PM
3D Printed Free Float Rail - by bj139 - 12-06-2018, 02:21 AM
3D Printed Free Float Rail - by jhoyda - 12-07-2018, 02:55 PM
3D Printed Free Float Rail - by Sixoeight - 12-08-2018, 06:52 AM
3D Printed Free Float Rail - by Sixoeight - 12-09-2018, 07:12 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)