Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Public Service Safety Message - Firing Pin Block
#17
montana Wrote:Military-style semi-auto rifles seldom have firing pin retraction springs. If care is not used in assembling ammunition, a “slam-fire” can occur before the bolt locks. The military arsenals accomplish this using different techniques and components—including different primer sensitivity specifications—from their commercial counterparts. CCI makes rifle primers for commercial sale that matches military sensitivity specs that reduce the chance of a slam-fire when other factors go out of control. If you’re reloading for a military semi-auto, look to CCI Military primers.

Effective slam-fire prevention requires more than special primers. Headspace, chamber condition, firing pin shape and protrusion, bolt velocity, cartridge case condition, and other factors can affect slam-fire potential.https://www.brownells.com/reloading/prim...79079.aspx

I copied this from the above link.

Hi montana,
This post was really more about safety in testing feeding and extraction which I am sure you knew.

The point about harder primers is well taken in normal operation.
I had to get a higher power hammer spring to reduce misfires when shooting 7.62x39 steel cased ammo.
I doubt they could slam fire. They are hard primers.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Public Service Safety Message - Firing Pin Block - by bj139 - 11-20-2018, 09:28 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)