11-02-2018, 01:45 AM
As I continue my research on what to buy, Im faced with a question. Whats the best (right?) twist rate? I see mostly 1:8 or 1:9 but AA has a 1:7.5 on an 18 inch barrel.
My 5.56 experience tells me a tighter twist throws heavier bullets more accurately. So, I presume the same holds true for 6.5 Grendel.
Most of my use will be hunting Eastern whitetails and putting holes in paper/ringing steel out to 500-600 meters. For that, it seems a 1:9 twist, firing with 100-123 grain bullets should be more than adequate. However, I may take it out west for Mulies and elk. Are 123gr rounds enough for that? If so, I likely dont need to worry about it. But if Ill need 160gr rounds, I reckon Id probably need a tighter twist. Am I crazy? Or am I over thinking the whole thing?
My 5.56 experience tells me a tighter twist throws heavier bullets more accurately. So, I presume the same holds true for 6.5 Grendel.
Most of my use will be hunting Eastern whitetails and putting holes in paper/ringing steel out to 500-600 meters. For that, it seems a 1:9 twist, firing with 100-123 grain bullets should be more than adequate. However, I may take it out west for Mulies and elk. Are 123gr rounds enough for that? If so, I likely dont need to worry about it. But if Ill need 160gr rounds, I reckon Id probably need a tighter twist. Am I crazy? Or am I over thinking the whole thing?

