09-19-2018, 10:36 AM
The PF barrels... 720 is IIRC 0.720" basic barrel diameter, the 920 is 0.920", ie thicker and heavier. Target crown muzzle is typically an 11 degree angle cut in the tip from edge to bore... gives you a slight cone at the tip, good for accuracy.
Shorter than 16" and you have to deal with either being an SBR (federal permission/tax stamp/long wait) or making it a "pistol" or pinning/welding a muzzle device (for the 14.5" bbl) -- I'd stay between 16" and 20" if I were you.
The 20" BA barrel, fluted, is a nice lighter weight barrel shoots well, priced right. PF is definitely a good barrel, Criterion, Lilja or Krieger. Our equipt exchange section has green mtn barrels in a group buy.
I'd just do the ones that use a 0.750" gas block as those bbls don't have to be the real heavy ones. and with 5/8x24 threads on the muzzle tip.
Me personally, I like the Midwest Industries free-float handguards they are strong light and go on easy, good quality and good for first-timers.
Get a low-profile gas block, an adjustable one is real nice but not required.
For a 16" barrel get the mid-length gas - gas tube style, not carbine.
For 18" probably the "intermediate length" but opinions differ.
For 20" get the rifle length gas style.
I'd also recommend a VG6 65 Gamma muzzle brake, it helps in recoil and muzzle control, although again it is not required just a nice to have thing...
Honestly the 16" and 20" lengths have worked best for me but 18ers get a lot of good reviews also.
Shorter than 16" and you have to deal with either being an SBR (federal permission/tax stamp/long wait) or making it a "pistol" or pinning/welding a muzzle device (for the 14.5" bbl) -- I'd stay between 16" and 20" if I were you.
The 20" BA barrel, fluted, is a nice lighter weight barrel shoots well, priced right. PF is definitely a good barrel, Criterion, Lilja or Krieger. Our equipt exchange section has green mtn barrels in a group buy.
I'd just do the ones that use a 0.750" gas block as those bbls don't have to be the real heavy ones. and with 5/8x24 threads on the muzzle tip.
Me personally, I like the Midwest Industries free-float handguards they are strong light and go on easy, good quality and good for first-timers.
Get a low-profile gas block, an adjustable one is real nice but not required.
For a 16" barrel get the mid-length gas - gas tube style, not carbine.
For 18" probably the "intermediate length" but opinions differ.
For 20" get the rifle length gas style.
I'd also recommend a VG6 65 Gamma muzzle brake, it helps in recoil and muzzle control, although again it is not required just a nice to have thing...
Honestly the 16" and 20" lengths have worked best for me but 18ers get a lot of good reviews also.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

