07-06-2018, 04:51 AM
stanc Wrote:The slogan "Make America Great Again" implies that it is not great now, but used to be great.
So I can't help wondering -- what is the "great" era to which you wish to return the country?
I've got two eras to point to. I was born in 1960, so I don't remember the growth that came after World War II. What I do remember is the growth that came after Reagan was elected. Lee Greenwood recorded "God Bless the USA" in 1984. That song started to be played at the beginning of every rodeo I went to or saw on the television, right after the national anthem.
The next era came after the 9-11 attack. Regardless of the opinions put out during the last election cycle, as I recall, President Bush's approval rating to his response to the attack was above 90%. Toby Keith and others released songs that echoed the national feeling at the time.
Obama then started his apology tour. I was talking to my son in law a couple years ago, and mentioned that I hadn't heard anything in the national media that indicated "proud to be an American". He replied that he'd never felt that way.
So there's the point. I'm hoping that Trump's "Make America Great Again" campaign results in more Americans feeling proud to be American. As far as I'm concerned, it's been working so far.

