07-04-2018, 10:09 PM
LRRPF52 Wrote:16" RLGS works on 5.56 to a degree, but that has much less bore volume.
16" RLGS might work on Grendel, but you'll need a large gas port.
Using RLGS increases your risk of damage to the gas system if you mate it with shorter handguards, which shouldn't be done anyway. Shorter gas is a solution to that problem you had with the rifle falling.
I also would consider not placing firearms within reach of people with mental illnesses where that type of access is a substantial risk of danger.
I personally wouldn't go over MLGS or ILGS in Grendel on a 16" barrel. There's a good discussion on this with diagrams in Volume I of the Grendel Handbooks.
Graphs show what type of reliability to expect with the different configurations.
Just the man I was hoping to hear from.
Yea I said mental illness as a joke, more of a idiot family member who has no business in a climbing tree stand much less a rifle in his hand.
I did some reading up on guys that did it with 556 and they stated a gas port dia of .100 to 110 was were they found it to work best.
I was thinking of doing the port at .110 and then putting low mass bcg and buffer system in the rifle to allow it to be dialed down and make the most of the gas pressure the short dwell time will be giving.
Will be using the same hanguard on this rifle as I do my others now, the seekins sprv3, i have settled on that handguards as the only one I use it fits me good and I'm use to working with it.
As for as ammo goes I'm still in a toss up if I will use wolf or just load it with federal tnt ammo till I can work up a brass cased fmj load for it.
Think the tnt factory load will be hot enough to produce enough gas pressure in this barrel and gas length?
My thinking is a more full power load would help with the short dwell time and gas pressure drop off.
What's your thoughts on this LRRPF52.

