First broken bolt for me!
#1
Hey guys Yesterday I was shooting my grendel and had my first ever bolt lug fracture since I built it 4 years ago.

19" Lilja barrel with midlength gas
Maxim\PF BCG nickel boron
SLR adjustable gas block
Surefire 762 Soccom

The build is about 4 years old with over 2000 rounds thru it and strictly reloads of:

123r. scenar
LVR 31gr.
MV 2550 at 80deg.

Its a slightly hotter round and its been shooting so well that I never even thought bolt breaks would even happen with me.
The Lug that broke was the one right below\adjacent to the extractor...Lucky for me I had a spare bolt and swapped it out and kept going.....

I had not idea it broke.....the only reason why was because the piece got jammed underneath the trigger and it wouldnt go off..lol

Considerations:

-LVR has a moderate MV change in temp changes so pressures could have spiked yesterday since it was 65deg in the morning and hit 95deg that afternoon.

-I know the surefire can adds a lot more pressure and I have only been using it the past 2.5 years

If i turn the gas down more....would that decrease chamber pressures so i can still use the hotter loads or should I just cut back the powder about .3gr....?


OR say F-k it! and keep on goin!?

Any thoughts?
Reply


Messages In This Thread
First broken bolt for me! - by cst - 05-29-2018, 01:41 PM
First broken bolt for me! - by VASCAR2 - 05-29-2018, 03:03 PM
First broken bolt for me! - by cst - 05-29-2018, 05:43 PM
First broken bolt for me! - by VASCAR2 - 05-29-2018, 09:56 PM
First broken bolt for me! - by LRRPF52 - 05-29-2018, 10:31 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)