01-01-2012, 12:11 AM
BjornF16: You don't want to use loctite 243 on the barrel nut or threads. You were correct to use anti-seize or grease. If you use Loctite on the threads you will have a very hard time getting it back apart in the future.
You should use Loctite on the barrel extension where it slids into the upper receiver.
I also use Loctite for the gasblock. I put it around the barrel where the gasblock will slide on but not in front of the gas port on the barrel on the side facing the crown or flashhider of the barrel. I kind of form a horseshoe shape around the gas port so I don't get Loctite into the gas port.
Some people have mentioned a certain Loctite number that seeps under the gasblock but I can't remember the number.
I like the gas block as solidly mounted as possible.
Loctite used to recommend treating metal with a primer before using their 242 but my understanding is that the 243 eliminated that step.
Hopefully this helps and if I am wrong about any of this or if someone, especially Bill A., has better suggestions I would welcome being corrected.
Good luck.
Lee
You should use Loctite on the barrel extension where it slids into the upper receiver.
I also use Loctite for the gasblock. I put it around the barrel where the gasblock will slide on but not in front of the gas port on the barrel on the side facing the crown or flashhider of the barrel. I kind of form a horseshoe shape around the gas port so I don't get Loctite into the gas port.
Some people have mentioned a certain Loctite number that seeps under the gasblock but I can't remember the number.
I like the gas block as solidly mounted as possible.
Loctite used to recommend treating metal with a primer before using their 242 but my understanding is that the 243 eliminated that step.
Hopefully this helps and if I am wrong about any of this or if someone, especially Bill A., has better suggestions I would welcome being corrected.
Good luck.
Lee
