03-28-2018, 05:04 PM
Back to the subject at hand:
I wouldn't ever worry about AD on a dropped or bumped AR. If this has ever been an actual issue, we'd know about it. AR's see service in the roughest places, in circumstances with the wildest demands on equipment, without such events being common. If the safety is on, the force required to make the pin strike the primer on a chambered round is so high, I can't fathom it. While possible, the likely hood is so low, that I wouldn't worry.
As far as the theft issue, an inconspicuous case, as already posted, would be most of the solution. I say most, because there's never any guarantee as far as pilfered goods goes. Just approach this with the same logic you use with any other item you leave in the car. I few months in, and you'll start trusting it like you do with the forgotten items you've been leaving behind all along. I wouldn't make a trunk gun out of an 80%, so that it would be factory serial #'d. I don't even want to think about having to report a gun stolen that - didn't have a serial number, that was loaded and ready, that had been stashed under the back seat and concealed...
Mine will have a custom viola case in which to reside, or some similar way to disguise it's actual form.
You will want some way to tie it down, so that it doesn't move or bounce on rough roads or under heaving braking/maneuvering. I plan on some large velcro squares on the bottom of the case and on the car wherever it finally takes up residence.
My intent is to have something at the ready for coyotes, or game I come across I can park and stalk across a field. I don't anticipate using it in any way as a defensive weapon, I carry my sidearm for that. If I win the unlucky lottery and wind up wanting it in such a situation, well it will be waiting on me to make that call I guess. Whats the saying, better to have and not need, than need and not have?
I wouldn't ever worry about AD on a dropped or bumped AR. If this has ever been an actual issue, we'd know about it. AR's see service in the roughest places, in circumstances with the wildest demands on equipment, without such events being common. If the safety is on, the force required to make the pin strike the primer on a chambered round is so high, I can't fathom it. While possible, the likely hood is so low, that I wouldn't worry.
As far as the theft issue, an inconspicuous case, as already posted, would be most of the solution. I say most, because there's never any guarantee as far as pilfered goods goes. Just approach this with the same logic you use with any other item you leave in the car. I few months in, and you'll start trusting it like you do with the forgotten items you've been leaving behind all along. I wouldn't make a trunk gun out of an 80%, so that it would be factory serial #'d. I don't even want to think about having to report a gun stolen that - didn't have a serial number, that was loaded and ready, that had been stashed under the back seat and concealed...
Mine will have a custom viola case in which to reside, or some similar way to disguise it's actual form.
You will want some way to tie it down, so that it doesn't move or bounce on rough roads or under heaving braking/maneuvering. I plan on some large velcro squares on the bottom of the case and on the car wherever it finally takes up residence.
My intent is to have something at the ready for coyotes, or game I come across I can park and stalk across a field. I don't anticipate using it in any way as a defensive weapon, I carry my sidearm for that. If I win the unlucky lottery and wind up wanting it in such a situation, well it will be waiting on me to make that call I guess. Whats the saying, better to have and not need, than need and not have?
Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

