03-10-2018, 09:54 PM
bj139 Wrote:Out of an interest in safety, I posted about this on another website. They had issue with the ar15.com link and deleted it.So far, I haven't seen any indicators that there was an overpressured cartridge.
They said it was an overpressure round and that every manufacturer makes bad parts from time to time so Young is not to blame.
I don't know.
The extractor being in position is the first clue, as stated before. The lack of soot around the case, and lack of signs that the gas path flowed back into the action are other huge clues.
Someone with an extremely limited experience with firearms would make that kind of conclusion, ignoring obvious signs of extremely unusual metal fatigue.
A Grendel bolt will take excessive pressure with more than a few rounds also. Even if one were firing loads that exceeded SAAMI MAP by 5-10ksi, you wouldn't see immediate failure. You would have to run a substantial round count to get one of the lugs to crack adjacent to the extractor pocket, and then you would normally only see one or two lugs shear, if at all.
Within 2-3 firings, if a bolt fails like yours did, where every single lug broke off AND cracked spirally around the cam pin hole, you know you're dealing with a failed metallurgy part.
I'm not knocking Young's, because I have stuff from them that has been great. This part just should have never made it through a TQM program. Heat treat is too long or too hot or both.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
