03-10-2018, 01:25 AM
That article is deeeep but in my experience I have taken rifles, mostly old military, that would not shoot much better than 3 inch or so groups and chucked up a round head brass bolt in a drill and used lapping compound on the bolt and cut a new crown and the things went down to MOA or better. One rifle that I fixed this past fall for my cousin was his first deer rifle. He has had it for 40 some years. It was a Spanish made 98 Mauser 8x57JS. The best it would shoot was 2 1/2 inch groups with my best handloads. The bore looked like a 200 year old cabin chimney because his son at some time got some old corrosive military ammo and shot it and did not clean it. He wanted me to try to get it to shoot good enough that he could try and kill a deer out to maybe 100 yards. The crown look awful so I used the brass bolt and lapping compound one the crown and went to the range and shot a ragged hole 5 shot group at 100 yards. Blew me away that a bore that bad could shoot that good. Strange things happen. Now back to my dilemma. I have called BCA 4 times and talked to customer "service". I have been promised two times, yesterday and today that the warranty person would call me back today. I have not received any such call. If I can EVER get them to send me a UPS pick up ticket I will send in this tomato stake and see what they will do. I just hope it will not take 6 months or more for the process.

