03-09-2018, 07:59 PM
Hi Ike,
Here's what I did to soften up, still using the carbine buffer and tube. For collapsible stock, I put the JP centerless spring in with a T2 buffer (Spikes or Kaw). Some really like that SCS captured spring setup but I was looking for a bit more economy...
Then adjustable gas block, this actually also helped me. It isn't a fancy one just a joebob's but there are several name-brands like Syrac, seekins and others... I measured the #of turns from just-full-open (ie, having the setscrew just clear the port-hole-opening, not fully out) to closed (looking at the gas port inside the GB while uninstalled). Then start with that full-open setting and close down by 1/2 your current "turns open", or your choice, until your ammo doesn't allow full lock back of the bcg. Then tweak it open until you get lock back, then go +1/6 or 1/4 turn just to be sure. (Others go 1/2 turn or 1/4 turn at a time, just pick your method and keep notes.)
I tried to do this for a couple of my heaviest loads and then all the others cycled great. Brass goes to 3-4 o'clock. Nicer to shoot.
Here's what I did to soften up, still using the carbine buffer and tube. For collapsible stock, I put the JP centerless spring in with a T2 buffer (Spikes or Kaw). Some really like that SCS captured spring setup but I was looking for a bit more economy...
Then adjustable gas block, this actually also helped me. It isn't a fancy one just a joebob's but there are several name-brands like Syrac, seekins and others... I measured the #of turns from just-full-open (ie, having the setscrew just clear the port-hole-opening, not fully out) to closed (looking at the gas port inside the GB while uninstalled). Then start with that full-open setting and close down by 1/2 your current "turns open", or your choice, until your ammo doesn't allow full lock back of the bcg. Then tweak it open until you get lock back, then go +1/6 or 1/4 turn just to be sure. (Others go 1/2 turn or 1/4 turn at a time, just pick your method and keep notes.)
I tried to do this for a couple of my heaviest loads and then all the others cycled great. Brass goes to 3-4 o'clock. Nicer to shoot.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

